We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Apple Hostel shut down by gov

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Big Apple Hostel shut down by gov

http://www.bigapplehostel.com/

I thought this was a legal hostel???

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,463 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Apple Hostel shut down by gov

So did I. Someone reported about that yesterday.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Apple Hostel shut down by gov

Just because it is legal, it still has to comply with building codes. Things like fire exits, sprinklers and the like. Even if a building is legally zoned for hotel use, it still must comply with the safety codes. My assumption is that this place must have ran afoul of the building codes.

If it is indeed a legally zoned hostel, I hope that these violations are corrected and that they are up and running soon. NY needs affordable places for folks to stay.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Apple Hostel shut down by gov

After staying in a variety of NYC hostels, this is one of my favorite places to stay. I am honestly AMAZED that this place is closed. Its a well run establishment and the arguably one of the best/safest ones in NYC. I am very curious to hear why it was closed-down. :( I sure hope it wasn't bed bugs....

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,605 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Apple Hostel shut down by gov

I don't think the Buildings Department gets involved with bed bug issues? Based on the comment from the hostel's web page below, maybe it was something structural? It wouldn't normally take "a few months" to fix a fire exit or something.

The Buildings Department of

the City of New York

has shut down the Big Apple Hostel.

We are trying to get the problem resolved as fast as possible.

Unfortunately it will take a few

months to complete.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Apple Hostel shut down by gov

Thats a pre-war building....sprinklers in rooms. fire escapes in the bathrooms....4 beds at most per room. great location. I dunno.....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Apple Hostel shut down by gov

Cited for fire safety issues, including inadequate means of exit; overcrowding; And it seems that the Mayor's Special Task Force determined that they do not hold a Certificate of Occupancy to operate as a hostel/hotel.

…nyc.gov/bisweb/OverviewForComplaintServlet…

…nyc.gov/bisweb/OverviewForComplaintServlet…

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big Apple Hostel shut down by gov

by now, my booking for December has been cancelled too...so, not something they expect to fix short term...?

Tennessee
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Big Apple Hostel shut down by gov

I agree that the Big Apple Hostel was/is an excellent place to stay. It was the best hidden deal in town. The documents states overcrowding. We may see the 2 pairs of bunks drop down to just 2 twins maybe? Then it will be even more difficult to get a reservation. Good luck to them. I'll be watching for a grand re-opening. :)

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Big Apple Hostel shut down by gov

photo's don't make the place look overcrowded to me....since when are bunk beds not fine in hostels???

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,825 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Big Apple Hostel shut down by gov

If the place isn't properly zoned/licensed/registered as a hostel, then putting bunkbeds in all the rooms will be considered overcrowding.