We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Empire State Bldg - best time to visit?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
507 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Empire State Bldg - best time to visit?

Will be in NYC on Weds after 5pm what would be the least crowded time to visit if any?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Empire State Bldg - best time to visit?

Since you're going by Rockefeller Center, why don't you visit TOTR instead? It's less crowded and you'll have a great view OF the ESB.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
507 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Empire State Bldg - best time to visit?

We might not sure exactly what we are doing. I have seen it all before parents have not. As far as I am concerned I could eat a slice of yummy NY pizza and shop in SOHO but feel like since I am with two first timers they should see some of the touristy things. Problem is we only have a few hours. So deciding what to do, what order and how to get there is my issue...

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Empire State Bldg - best time to visit?

OK, but TOTR is very popular and it's near other touristy things like St. Patrick's Cathedral, NBC Studios, MOMA, Central Park, and Times Square. If you're short of time then standing in line at the ESB might not be the best option but I'll leave it to the experts to tell you the best time to visit it.

Have a great time!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
507 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Empire State Bldg - best time to visit?

Thanks for the suggestions I will keep it in mind for sure.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Empire State Bldg - best time to visit?

We visited the ESB around 6pm and it was SUPER busy! A friend of ours said they started lining up in the morning i.e. as soon as it opened and they said they avoided the crowds and queues. Maybe get some form of pass, we had the New York Pass and it helps with queues and all the major attractions are covered so you don't have to line up to buy tickets

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Empire State Bldg - best time to visit?

Have gone for many years and done both. Top of the Rock has same view and light years easier, cheaper and did not spend endless hours in a que line. Definitely TOTR over ESB on a time budget! Have a great time!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
507 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Empire State Bldg - best time to visit?

Thanks! I think we will go with TOTR

8. Re: Empire State Bldg - best time to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 17:16