We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Affordable Shopping in NYC!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best Affordable Shopping in NYC!

Best affordable shopping in New York please!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
434 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Affordable Shopping in NYC!

I find Macy's fantastic. There are SO many shopping places in NY you need to be more specific in what you are after :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Affordable Shopping in NYC!

Im not even sure, clothes, shoes, everything!

Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Affordable Shopping in NYC!

Everywhere!! It is shopping heaven and the prices are super cheap for us - especially clothing and shoes. Even luxury brands are well priced. Try the department stores - Macys, Bloomingdales, Lord and Taylor. Also Broadway at the Lower Manhattan end has some great stores.

There is also Woodbury Common - outlet mall outside of NYC but personally I think you will find everything you want in NYC itself.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
504 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Affordable Shopping in NYC!

What is the conversion rate for you guys, 1.03 AUD to 1.00 USD? Not exactly "super cheap," (Europeans, now, THEY have it good right now) and to list major department stores when the OP wants affordable... ?

Woodbury Common is a waste of time to me and a full day out of the city, but some people like it.

If you could be a little more specific in what you're looking for, OP, it would be easier for us to help you :) What do you consider to be affordable? Are you looking for luxury brands or one-of-a-kind boutique shopping?

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
434 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Affordable Shopping in NYC!

Violins, clothing, shoes etc are much more expensive in Australia. I paid $150 for a pair of Nike running shoes and then two weeks bought the exact same pair in Soho for $69 (not on special either).

I also bought an Adidas track suit in Macy's reduced from well over $100 down to around $40. That is just the tip of the iceburg. I am in NY again next week and I have a list as long as your arm of clothing I am going to stock up on. Double bonus, the US is cheap and our dollar is brilliant against the greenback.

Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Affordable Shopping in NYC!

Have a look at Century 21 Department store - opposite WTC site. Cheap prices - the place was packed when I was there a few weeks ago.

www.c21stores.com

Violins - wait til you come to Australia and see the price of clothing here. As GeorgieBennet says "Double bonus, the US is cheap and our dollar is brilliant against the greenback"

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,982 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Affordable Shopping in NYC!

Syms, Filene's Basement?

Macy's and Lord and Taylor have good sales and offer a discount card to visitors.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Affordable Shopping in NYC!

Discount stores include Century 21 [the motherload of all discount stores], Lohmans, Daffy's and DSW for shoes. But non-discount stores such as Macy's are ALWAYS running sales. When you come, check the NY Times for ads and look for % off coupons.

For electronics, head downtown where the lowest prices are at J&R, located just south of City Hall.

Georgie, thanks for pointing out that the US economy is in the cr@pper. Yes, Yes, Yes - I am living in a third world country.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,467 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Affordable Shopping in NYC!

For special sales, check out

http://ny.racked.com/

a few days before and during your stay. Here's a list of 34 sales (I think most of these are sample sales, which means communal dressing rooms, you may have to check everything including your handbag, and cash/check/charge requirements vary):

…racked.com/archives/…junes_list_of_sales.php

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,267 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Affordable Shopping in NYC!

sample sales often dont have any dressing rooms. if you opt for this, wear the most form fitting clothes possible so you can try things on on top of them. Women will strip down to underwear in the Barney's warehouse sale, but that's unusual.

You probably cant imagine the shopping opportunities here. Every one of those buildings you see in the movies or on TV has stores (or restaurants or bars or banks) on the ground floor.

Even if they dont look for bargains, my (straight male) friends who come from Paris who arent shoppers rave about how much they bought here at such great prices