We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants in NYC

Fareham
Level Contributor
38 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants in NYC

Hello everyone!

Me and my boyfriend are going to NY for his 21st birthday in January for 1 week, I want to take him for dinner whilst we are out there but dont want to go to a chain restaurant.

Does anyone know any nice, little gems of NY? We are staying in the wellington hotel!

Thanks

Emma

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,390 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants in NYC

Welcome to TripAdvisor! We look forward to helping you. We are fond of saying that the more specific the question, the better the answer. You may not realize it, but there are more than 20,000 restaurants in New York City, and the subway will take you anywhere you want to go. What that means is, you have plenty of places to choose from. In order to get a helpful recommendation, you ahve to give us more information about what you'd like. What kind of food are you interested in? What is your budget per person, before tax and tip are factored in? What sort of ambience would you like?

As a suggestion, you can use www.menupages.com to browse through restaurants by neighborhood, to get a sense of the wide range of possibilties.

Fareham
Level Contributor
38 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants in NYC

Ok bit more info, price around $100 for the both of us as a maximum. Type of food is pretty irrelevant as we both eat anything. It is for my boyfriends 21st so would be nice if it was something a bit special.

Fareham
Level Contributor
38 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants in NYC

Ok bit more info, price around $100 for the both of us as a maximum. Type of food is pretty irrelevant as we both eat anything. It is for my boyfriends 21st so would be nice if it was something a bit special.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,390 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants in NYC

All right, that's not a lot to go on, but I am fond of Monte's in the Village. It's old world red sauce Italian with a Little Italy (when Little Italy was still Italian) vibe.

www.montestrattorianyc.com

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,049 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants in NYC

This place is walking distance to your hotel-

thecapitalgrille.com/Locations/NYC-Time-Life…

and it has been getting great reviews-

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60763-d15…

Also while you are here if you try the pre set lunches at some of the better places you get a lot nicer meals for less (you can check out this list)-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23075-Best_NYC…

Maybe if you up your budget a bit or you want to just try the dessert buffet another nifght this revolving restaurant may interest you-

http://www.theviewnyc.com/

& Some other helpful planning tools

Night life-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i22937-NYC_nigh…

That other thing (day time stuff)-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23092-Most_Com…

&

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23076-Cheap_Ea…

Have fun & enjoy

Fareham
Level Contributor
38 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants in NYC

thank you that is really helpful! :)

If anyone else has anything that would be ace, ideally walking distance from our hotel, and approx $40 per person would be nice.

If we can a restaurant with a view that would be great if not somewhere modern would be nice!

Thanks

England
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants in NYC

Emma, don't forget your I.D.... assume you will be having a drink ? It is pretty strict around "these parts"

Edited: 16 June 2011, 00:21
Boston...
Level Contributor
9 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants in NYC

There are so many little gems in NY! Look at Crispo (back garden seating - heated and covered in the winter), Little Owl, Piccolo Angelo (sp?)...what kind of food are you looking for? Pls avoid Little Italy...tourist trap!

ottawa
Level Contributor
420 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants in NYC

Empellon in the West Village.

Creative mexican and very cool atmosphere.

Stellar tequilla!!

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,428 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants in NYC

Emma, are you in the mood for Brussel Sprouts? Didnt think so. But check out Alta anyway. Very popular greek tapas I had the other day and thoroughly enjoyed

Edited: 18 June 2011, 00:39