We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We Walked, We Ate, We Walked Some More....A Trip Report

Ohio
Level Contributor
7,871 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
We Walked, We Ate, We Walked Some More....A Trip Report

This was our ninth trip since 2006 so yeah, we're a little addicted ;)) My husband, 19 year old son, and I stayed at the Affinia Dumont in the Murray Hill neighborhood. We love this hotel because it's always super clean, quiet, and comfortable. The hotel is being updated this summer with new tvs, carpeting, wifi, etc..

We are as far away as you can get from foodies so all food consumed was plain, comfort food. Our days were relatively unplanned but we attended several events in the evenings.

Ohio
Level Contributor
7,871 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We Walked, We Ate, We Walked Some More....A Trip Report

June 14, We flew from Columbus, Ohio and after a quick taxi ride we were in Room 2106. We had great views from the 21st floor, east to the East River and south toward Madison Square. We immediately headed to the subway and as usual, the NYC smile hit my face as soon as I smelled that subway smell from the top of the stairs. We got our 7 day unlimited metrocards and headed for Union Square. From there we walked to Stand, a restaurant on E.12th St. bet. University Place and 5th Ave. The burgers, fries, and chocolate shakes were excellent and we really enjoyed the meal. We then walked to a local grocery and picked up some snacks and cereal and milk for breakfast. We had grabbed my son right out of him dorm room so he had only had a bit of sleep after finishing exams so he laid down and died at the hotel.

Husband and I headed to the Museum Mile Festival and inspite of the rain we throughly enjoyed the Museo El Barrio, the music out on the streets, and the street artists.

We then headed to 3rd Ave. for pizza at Librettos. This used to be one of our favorite places to eat, tasty old school pizza, very low key atmosphere sinatra playing in the background. But it has changed hands and the pizza is just bleh,,,,we'll find a new favorite place next trip

June 15. We got up and headed to Scotty's on Lexington for breakfast. The pancakes and eggs we just right. We made a brief stop at the NHL store because my son has become a huge Phoenix fan and he wanted a tee shirt. He had no luck.

We were able to snag matinee tickets in the row in the theater but we could see and hear fine. It was an interesting crowd, most were well over 65. I actually felt like one of the youngins there. The was wonderful and we loved it!! Then it was off to Live Bait, a bar/pub across from Madison Square Park. They serve excellent fish sandwiches, burgers, and my favorite, grilled chicken, candied yams, and mac and cheese with corn bread muffins and root beer.

l.

texas
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We Walked, We Ate, We Walked Some More....A Trip Report

Went in January for first time with my 20yo DD. We stayed at the Affinia Shelburne in Murray Hill and loved the area. We also stopped every evening on way back at Union Square. Went to WHole Foods and got stuff to eat in room.We were so tired after walking the days that we enjoyed just crashing in room and eating there. Glad you have fun there. We talk about going back when we can afford it.

Ohio
Level Contributor
7,871 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We Walked, We Ate, We Walked Some More....A Trip Report

Gosh, I forgot to say that the matinee was for Book of Mormon. It was a great show, very funny, definitely for people who get South Park humor. That's why the older crowd threw us a bit. We didn't expect to be in a room full of 80 year olds.

Wednesday evening had been set aside to go to a show at the Jalopy Theater in Brooklyn. http://www.jalopy.biz/ We had an easy ride on the subway but then things got a bit crazy. I had directions from hopstop.com and husband and son both had their phones with maps on them but we got totally lost. Apparently, streets go for a bit, suddenly end, and pick up again. We walked and walked and finally gave up. Fortunately, we were able to find our way back to the subway. I was really disappointed. However, we salvaged the evening by going up to Lincoln Center and hanging out at the fountain. We were thrilled to see a L'Arte del Gelato cart at the fountain so we had our chocolate fix and watched everyone coming out of the opera building.

June 16. The teenager could not get himself out of bed so we left him and headed for Soho. I could never afford anything in the shops there but we enjoy window shopping and taking a few pictures. We saw a huge wreck involving a truck and four cars that had the street totally snarled. We stopped at Aroma and had a coffee then we indulged in a guilty pleasure. I know the regulars on here hate when tourists visit places from tv shows but we had to check out Ami James' Tattoo shop, The Wooster Street Social Club. The receptionist was sitting out on the front steps and you could see the cameras set up inside.

ami-james.com/blog/…

We then hopped on the subway and headed for Bryant Park to relax and watch the lunch time pick up bocci ball games. We met our son there and headed to O'Neil's for lunch. Husband had fish, I had grilled chicken on greens with walnuts and fresh cranberries, son had a cheeseburger all of which were very good. http://www.oneillsnewyork.com/

Ohio
Level Contributor
7,871 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We Walked, We Ate, We Walked Some More....A Trip Report

That evening, we had tickets to see How To Succeed in Business that I bought through broadwaybox.com. For us, the only down side to seeing Broadway plays is having to fight our way through Times Square. It is, by far, our least favorite part of the city. I don't like swimming through waves and waves of people who are pressing up against you and I couldn't imagine staying in a hotel there.

The show itself was wonderful! Daniel Radcliffe was immediately engaging, the premise of the show is just what you think a Broadway musical would be, and the singing and dancing was fantastic. Who knew Harry Potter could sing and dance so well? After the show, we popped into Cafe Metro for a very nice slice of pizza then walked back to the hotel.

Level Contributor
149 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We Walked, We Ate, We Walked Some More....A Trip Report

Enjoyed your trip report. I would love to see How to Succeed in Business the next go around! Too many shows and not enough time!!!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,035 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We Walked, We Ate, We Walked Some More....A Trip Report

Loving your TR so far.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We Walked, We Ate, We Walked Some More....A Trip Report

Don't apologize for wanting to see something that's on TV - we're tourists and that's what we do. :-) I think it's cool that you saw Ami's shop!

Ohio
Level Contributor
7,871 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We Walked, We Ate, We Walked Some More....A Trip Report

June 17, baseball and an act of random kindness.

This is turning into the longest TR ever! Anyway, my aunt spent 12 years researching my dad's family tree and discovered that our ancestor left Holland in 1619 and farmed and opened a bakery on the east side of what is now Chatham Square. So we headed there for a family photo after having a nice lunch at Slane in Greenwich Village. While walking, we passed two brides coming out of the building across from the Supreme Court. One bride was in a very haute couture gown, very sleek and modern, and the other girl was in a frilly, ruffle covered traditional gown. They both looked beautiful and very excited. Then it started to rain forcing us to stop under a small awning in front of a Chinese Lutheran Church. Then it happened.....an Asian man walked up to us and said, "it looks like you could use an umbrella", and then handed his umbrella to me and took off down the street. It was truly a magical moment, unexpected and so sweet! And it's a really nice golf umbrella with a leather handle. It's something we'll always cherish as a reminder to be kind to strangers.

We made it to Doyer and Pell Streets when it really began to pour so we stopped. This is a far more interesting part of Chinatown then the Canal St. tourist area.

http://www.scoutingny.com/?p=1757

That evening, we took the subway to the Mets vs. Angels game. What a great ballpark! We couldn't believe the food selections, Nathan's, Shake Shack, italian sausages, etc....Even though the Mets lost, we enjoyed the game. On the ride back to Manhattan the subway was packed but we had a good time chatting with a guy from Portland, Oregon and two guys from St. Louis.

Ohio
Level Contributor
7,871 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We Walked, We Ate, We Walked Some More....A Trip Report

June 18, Saturday. We let the kid sleep in and we had a nice breakfast at the Gemini Diner then headed for the Brooklyn Flea. This ended up being a bit of an undertaking because of work on the subway. It involved transfers and taking shuttles but we once we made it to Fort Greene it was easy to find the flea market. We walked around for about an hour or so, had some sort of carbonated blueberry lemonade which was interesting and a spicy pork sandwich on a crusty roll. Fort Greene is a lovely area and we had an excellent cup of coffee at Tillie's which I promptly poured down the front of my white shirt. We had no plans for the evening so after freshening up at the hotel we walked down 3rd Ave. to Molly's for supper. I had chicken, the guys had burgers and everything was quite good. We spent the evening people watching in Washington Square Park then stumbled across Amorino near Union Square. The gelato is expensive but excellent.

June 19. We spent the day wandering through Central Park and spent some time watching softball games. That evening we headed to the Lower East Side to the New Design High School for a concert and documentary on musician Jose Gonzalez. The event was on the roof of the school and what an incredible space! It was a very cool experience. Check it out:

rooftopfilms.com/2011/…

After the show, we caught the subway back to midtown and ate pancakes at Scotty's Diner at 1 a.m. The diner was packed!

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: We Walked, We Ate, We Walked Some More....A Trip Report

Hi Rassi, really enjoying your trip report. Keep up the good work!

You have really fitted in so much in your trip.

I am smiling to myself at you leaving the 19 year old sleeping....sounds familiar:-)