We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York Vacation

The Woodlands, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
New York Vacation

We had a good time in New York. We stayed at the La Quinta Manhattan and it was fine. It is very well located. The Empire State Building is right behind the hotel and you can see it from the rooftop bar.

We spent 2 nights there, left for one night to head to Cooperstown, and returned for 3 nights.

First Day: arrived in New York and walked around a little. Attended our first Broadway show, Sister Act, which was awesome. Time Square that night.

Second Day: began walking, viewed part of Good Morning America, and headed to Central Park. It is a beautiful place. We went to The Met and it is great. Reservations for L' Ecole, French Culinary Institute thate evening, it was the best.

Third Day: we checked out of our hotel, rented a car and headed to Cooperstown and the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Fourth Day: returned from Cooperstown and checked back into the same hotel. Rode the Staten Island Ferry at night, walked around in Chelsea. Flatiron Building

Fifth Day: Lower Manhattan. Rode subway to Brooklyn, walked the bridge. Visited the WTC, St. Paul's Chapel, Wall Street, St. Patrick's Cathedral. Went to Top of the Rock in the afternoon and stayed till Sunset. Battery Park, saw the sphere placed there.

Sixth Day: Tickets to the Yankees game. the stadium was very nice and we toured the Monument area and museum. Went to Grand Central Station, Penn Station after the game.

Seventh Day: Shoping mainly. Flight out in the afternoon.

The only thing we did not see or go to was Coney Island and the Museum of National History. Those were both low on our list of priorities.

Restaurants: L'Ecole, Empanada Mama, Brick Oven Pizza 33, Foley's New York (sports bar and restaurant)

Areas we saw while walking around: Little Italy, Korea Town, Garment District, Theater District, Chelsea, Diamond District

I can try to answer any questions you might have.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York Vacation

Thanks for posting a review. I am glad you guys had a good time. Maybe post a review of L'Ecole to help others get some idea about the restaurant.? You seem to have done it all. Where did you do your shopping? Did you go to Century21?

The Woodlands, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York Vacation

L'Ecole was wonderful. The food and service was great. The deal is an early afternoon prix fixe meal, 4 courses. We went later and had the 5 course meal, which included your choices of appetizer, fish course, meat course, fixed digestive salad, choice of dessert. They also brought an extra appetizer and dessert to try. If we ever go back to New York, this restaurant will definitely be on our to do.

Funny thing about Century 21. We did end up there as my feet were killing me, after our many miles of walking and we stopped there to see what they had in comfortable shoes. I found a pair of slip on Keds for $!4.00, which were very comfortable.

I cannot remember the other stores we shopped at. One was in the garment district and I bought a shirt for my daughter in law. There was a discount costume jewelry store there that had earrings and I bought her a pair to go with the shirt. I did go up to the 4th floor for a sample sale, cannot remember where exactly, but, only bought a shirt for myself.

I went to just some little shops for post cards, thimbles. My husband and sons gifts were purchased at Cooperstown.

One thing that was cool for me. I am a fiber artist, crazy quilter, and I found beautiful fabrics in the garment district. You could choose 10 swatches for free. I was going to pay for the extra ones I got, but, they didn't charge me. The fabrics were beautiful and the picture I make with these fabrics will be so special since the fabrics came from New York.

Another tidbit tor those traveling there. The subway is easy to use. We only got confused once, and since we didn't leave the area, we weren't charged for changing and getting on the right track.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,562 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York Vacation

Glad you enjoyed NYC thanks for posting.

4. Re: New York Vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 14:15