We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brunch near Times Square?

Florida Keys...
Level Contributor
126 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Brunch near Times Square?

Looking for a spot for family of five (including 3 kids 8, 8, and 2) for brunch before Broadway show.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Melissa

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brunch near Times Square?

Define what you mean by "brunch", including the food, the hours, the atmosphere, and the ay of the week. The concept of what a "brunch" is here (I mean, are the kids really craving a Bloody Mary?) may be a little different from what you have in mind, so it is best to avoid confusion.

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brunch near Times Square?

This place is a revolving restaurant in Times Square. A bit pricey, but they have a smaller charge for children and I'm guessing they won't charge you for the two year old, but you can call and ask.-

http://www.theviewnyc.com/

Singing waitstaff here-

http://www.ellensstardustdiner.com/

Or big hearty portions here-

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60763-d94…

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Brunch near Times Square?

Many folks from out of town equate brunch to a 'buffet' experience - not that common in NYC.

There are some restaurants that have a special menu and include an alcoholic beverage at a lower price for both than is usually charged.

Hope this is clear....

Poppa

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brunch near Times Square?

Which show and what time do you plan on eating? West Bank Cafe does a nice brunch if it's near your theater.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brunch near Times Square?

Film Center Cafe also does a nice brunch. It is on 9th Avenue near 44th and 45th.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brunch near Times Square?

Are you taking your 2 year old to a Broadway show? Which one? Many do not recommend bringing a child under 4 years old. I recently saw Spiderman Turn off the Dark and a woman was seated with her toddler. The first Spiderman flew through the air, the child screamed and the ushers promptly showed the mother and child out. Please know that this is what will happen if your 2 year old is having any difficulty, even at Mary Poppins and Lion King. Thought I should give you a heads up before you arrive so you are aware of this policy.

Have fun in NYC! Moms

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Brunch near Times Square?

Most B'way shows will not seat a child under the age of 4 - no matter how 'well-behaved' the parent(s) claim they are.

And as a responsible adult, you should be considerate of the other theatergoers and not even think of bringing a young child to a show at which people have paid a major amount of money for a ticket.

Use common sense, please.

Poppa

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brunch near Times Square?

Momstravel, I am surprised that a child that young was allowed into the theater; shame on the ushers for letting them get that far in the first place.

I would concur with Poppa on that score; anyone who would bring a child so young as to cause a disruption like that into a Broadway theater is an ignorant, selfish, self-absorbed jerk.

This does not, of course, refer in *any* way to the OP, who *never* said that she was taking a 2 year old to a play (which of course is a ridiculous idea), but merely to brunch... with, perhaps, a nice mimosa on the side? ;o)

Edited: 02 July 2011, 04:42
Florida Keys...
Level Contributor
126 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brunch near Times Square?

Good God no I am not taking our 2 year old to see a show! Daddy gets to watch her while my sons and I go. Took my 7 year olds to see Lion King last year..that was the perfect age..they listen to the show soundtrack pretty much everyday. Now for their 8th birthday we are going to see Wicked..I really don't think kids under 6 or 7 should be allowed in. Period. az

GreenWhiteBlue you gave me a chuckle and yes a mimosa sounds perfect!

Thank you all for your suggestions!!

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brunch near Times Square?

By all means then, head to Film Center Cafe where they offer a set price for unlimited Mimosas. Quite a nice treat before a show!

P.S. I'm glad to hear the two year old is staying behind with Dad! I was quite shocked to see a toddler at Spiderman. Wicked is great show! I'm sure you will all enjoy it!