We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel in USA

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
43 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel in USA

Does anyone know a UK Travel Agent conversant with making train reservations in the USA?

Archaeologist Cambs

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,100 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel in USA

Where do you intend to travel? The Amtrak website is good enough.

Edited: 01 July 2011, 00:44
New Jersey
Level Contributor
420 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel in USA

Amtrak is the place to go.

There are reviews from people who used Amtrak in the Train Travel forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_Tr…

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,494 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel in USA

That's funny! Some of the Amtrak Agents aren't conversant with Amtrak train routes. I can't imagine a UK agent able to decifer the US schedules. Have some fun and download the Amtrak schedules that interest you from Amtrak.com. Plot your trip and then ask your questions on the Train Travel forum that njslim just noted. In fact the train forum probably has most of your questions already answered. Use the forum's search engine.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel in USA

One thing to bear in mind is that our train system for long-distance travel is quite awful. It is worse than any European system I have traveled on. There are some good local train systems, but Amtrak is not dependable if you have a schedule to keep. For example, if you are traveling between NYC and New Haven, CT, Metro-North service is far more frequent, far less expensive, and has a far better on-time record than Amtrak. In the northeast at least, that seems to often be the case. While I would much prefer to travel between NYC and Boston or DC by train, Amtrak's spotty record forces me to take the airline shuttles. Good luck.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel in USA

Use Amtrak, there is no problem using UK cards or collecting the tickets from the ticket machine. If you want railpass you can get one via www.seat61.com the single best resource for train travel.

Contrary to the previous poster I have travelled up and down the east coast with little in the way of problems.

If you are set on using a travel agent then rail canterbury are professional. i have used them to book sleeper trains in eastern europe. rail-canterbury.co.uk/worldwidetrains.html

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,155 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel in USA

Amtrak's spotty record forces me to take the airline shuttles. Good luck.

---------------------------------------

Really? When I have to travel a short distance, such as between DC and NYC, I'd much rather take Amtrak than fly. The train leaves me in midtown Manhattan which is much easier than trying to make my way from JFK or LGA. In DC, it leaves me at Union Station where I can pick up Metro. In addition, boarding and exiting the trains is much easier than doing it on a plane. The seats on the train are much more comfortable than the ones on the planes.

That said, for long distance travel, flying will win out due to time constraints.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train travel in USA

SueFee makes some good points about the pros of Amrtrak. Seating is more comfortable and station locations are more convenient than airports. If I were not traveling for business, the 80% on-time performance in the northeast would be less of an issue. And on some routes on-time performance is a bit better, and is some it is considerably worse, like NY to Montreal.

You can make reservations and buy tickets on line at Amtrak's website. Fares can be considerably cheaper if you purchase in advance. It is pretty easy to use and tickets can be picked up at the station.

www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

If on-time performance is an issue for you, you can check on-time information on the Amtrak website:

amtrak.com/servlet/…1237405732511

In addition, there is a delay information site:

amtrakdelays.onlineschedulingsoftware.com/

Hopefully this will give you as much or as little info as you need to make your plans on Amtrak.

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
43 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train travel in USA

Thanks to everyone for such helpful responses. I am trying to book myself to avoid what seem to be very expensive packages using railways to travel round the USA and found it quite confusing. I will now apply myself more confidently

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,413 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train travel in USA

What you're being told is traveling long distances by train is not recommended. Did you get that part?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,494 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train travel in USA

Wrong! Travelling long distance train is highly recommended by people who travel by train. Post your querry on the Train Travel forum NOT the New York City Forum. tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_Tr…