We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC Trip is confusing the hell out of me. Please HELP

Keller, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
NYC Trip is confusing the hell out of me. Please HELP

Hi,

My wife and I will be visiting NYC for the first time and need some information on trip planning to different attractions. This will be 4 day mini vacation for us and we are excited about it, but as I am doing lot of searches online this trip planning can really create confusion and stress. So following are the questions which we are needing suggestions.

1. How does city pass work and is it worth it at all? (I am really thinking about just scratching this from my list, but i need experts on this one)

2. Should I get Express pass for ESB? (I hear long waiting period at this attraction)

3. Should I get City Tour Hop ON Hop OFF bus ticket? (I believe this will do all of my trips since it covers just about all different locations and attractions in NYC)

4. Is night boat tour really worth it? (They say it covers entire island!!!)

5.I am considering about getting the City Tour Bus tickets, does anyone have any thoughts on how they operate??? Do we have to worry about time, missing buses, etc...?

Any help on these queries will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

New York Water Taxi
Ferries, Boat Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours
Tribeca Sailing
Boat Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Boat Hire
New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC Trip is confusing the hell out of me. Please HELP

1. How does city pass work and is it worth it at all? (I am really thinking about just scratching this from my list, but i need experts on this one) - IMHO, not worth it unless you do all the attractions, and you won't.

2. Should I get Express pass for ESB? (I hear long waiting period at this attraction) YES and skip the skyride. Or opt for top of the rock instead

3. Should I get City Tour Hop ON Hop OFF bus ticket? (I believe this will do all of my trips since it covers just about all different locations and attractions in NYC) - This is NOT good for transportation. The city bus and subway system is cheaper, much more frequent, faster, and goes to more places.

4. Is night boat tour really worth it? (They say it covers entire island!!!). If you like boat rides. It goes around manhattan island in about 3 hours.

5.I am considering about getting the City Tour Bus tickets, does anyone have any thoughts on how they operate??? Do we have to worry about time, missing buses, etc...? Same answer as# 3 above. Hl

New York
Level Contributor
35 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC Trip is confusing the hell out of me. Please HELP

1. skip it

2.Top of the Rock is the way to go. little or no waiting, amazing view

3. Hop on Hop off is good for attractions, but I agree that if you want to see the real New York and maybe some real New Yorkers, skip it and take the subway and buses. $2.25 per ride with 1 free transfer... goes all the way to Coney Island!

4. I have no experience with this, but if the weather says warm clear eve. it might be cool!

Nah, don't do a bus tour.

I have heard that Big Apple Jazz, run by a guy named Gorden is great if you like jazz. It is a tour. Also, there is Real NY tours, I heard they are great too. I would check them both out.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC Trip is confusing the hell out of me. Please HELP

Do yourselves a favor and skip ESB. TOTR is so much better.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC Trip is confusing the hell out of me. Please HELP

Hubby and I had the same problems. From experience-skip city pass, yes for express pass. And I might get a lot of flack for this but yes do the hop on hop off bus at least the first day. Get a feel for the city, see some things you would like to see and then the next day take the subway back to the places you want to spend more time at. When your not sure what to see or where to go you don't know what subway to take. At least on the bus you can see the highlights and then go back. Haven't done the boat tour. Skip city tour. I hope you have a blast and enjoy as much as we do.

Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC Trip is confusing the hell out of me. Please HELP

Ok IMO forget the city pass.

Go to Top of the Rock instead of ESB - great view of Central Park and generally no queues.

Forget the cruise. It may only take 3 hours but first they have to load the boat and that takes well over an hour as they insist on taking your photo. I was really disappointed and wished I had spent the time doing other things.

Great view of the Manhattan skyline is from Brooklyn as you walk back across the Brooklyn bridge to Manhattan. Much more worthwhile.

I think the hop on hop off bus is a good way to get your bearings of the city. You see most of the main sights and you can work out what you want to go back to and spend more time at.

Can't comment on the last item.

Hope that helps.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,099 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC Trip is confusing the hell out of me. Please HELP

The ESB is iconic and while I love TOTR, I think the ESB is something you should do once in your life! So, if the price isn't a deterrent, defintely get the express pass and skip the Sky Ride.

Keller, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC Trip is confusing the hell out of me. Please HELP

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and taking some time to respond to my questions.

We have followed everyones guideline and made arragements accordingly. This has really made it easier for us to plan our trip.

Here are my updated list and I will continue to add items as I am working on this

1. Cancelling the City Tour

2. Getting Express pass for ESB and tickets to TOTR

3. Will be skipping Hop On Hop Off Bus. Getting subway whole day pass and using it for transportation

4. Taking the eveing 3 hr boat tour of the island

5. Getting tickets to 5 more attractions online

Ripleys Believe it or Not, Wax Museum, NYC Museum,

Places to visit...

Wall Streest, Central Park, and on and on.....

I am sure we will have all the time to finish it up 4 days.

Thanks again for everyones input...

Edited: 01 July 2011, 12:48
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,624 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC Trip is confusing the hell out of me. Please HELP

There are no longer any one day passes for the subway. You can get either a pay per ride Metrocard or an unlimited card for a week.

For a 4 day trip the unlimited card (and you'll need one for each person) may work out better and you don't have to constantly figure how much money is left on your pay per ride card.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC Trip is confusing the hell out of me. Please HELP

I like the 3 hour Circle Line tour -- but as its great advantaghe is that it lets you see other neighborhoods of the city, and the details of all the bridges that you pass, I would definitely want to do it in broad daylight rather than any other time of the day.

There are plenty of places from which to see the lights of the city at night, including Roosevelt Island and the Brooklyn Heights Promenade.

Edited: 01 July 2011, 13:16
Mentioned in this post
Roosevelt Island
Roosevelt Island
661 Reviews
New York City, NY
Bakewell, United...
Level Contributor
543 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYC Trip is confusing the hell out of me. Please HELP