We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Matzo Ball Soup?

Near Manchester
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Topic
What is Matzo Ball Soup?

What exactly is Matzo Ball Soup? I'm guessing something with chicken and eggs in a broth with noodles?

I've been reading up on the net on the Edison Hotel and their cafe and all the reviews rave about the soup. I'm tempted to try it now but would like to know what I'd be ordering!! Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,485 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What is Matzo Ball Soup?

Google it. It is not what you assume. Googling it will give you a good explanation. When the soup is made well it is very good.

2. Re: What is Matzo Ball Soup?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 July 2011, 04:19
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,485 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What is Matzo Ball Soup?

Dupe post

Having computer issues. Sorry

Edited: 03 July 2011, 17:14
Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is Matzo Ball Soup?

It's chicken soup with matzos balls in it. A matzos ball is sort of a big dumpling made with matzos (unleavened bread), eggs, chicken fat and spices. Hard to make properly, but when done right, it's incredibly delicious and pretty unhealthy.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is Matzo Ball Soup?

It is common when eating in a diner/coffee shop in NYC to be offered the choice for soups of chicken noodle, chicken with rice, or matzoh ball. They are all basically the same chicken broth, except that chicken noodle soup has noodles in it, chicken with rice has rice instead of noodles, and matzoh ball soup has -- in place of rice or noodles -- matzoh balls in it.

What is a matzoh ball? Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matzah_ball

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is Matzo Ball Soup?

To answer this one, you really need a full fledged member of the tribe. Matzoh ball soup is a time honored Jewish soup. But it is more than that. Oh, so much more. It is the curative served by generations of bubbies for what ever ailed us. Everything. From a romance gone south, to the common cold. Its healing powers are so well known it is called "Jewish Penicillin"

As for matzoh balls. They are either light and fluffy dumpling [floaters] or dense and chewy dumplings [sinkers]. I am a sinker guy, but I may be in the minority.

To experience some of the healing on your own - here is a website that has a recipe for the soup. http://jewishpenicillin.blogspot.com/

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,148 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is Matzo Ball Soup?

At the Second Avenue Deli, you can get your matzoh ball soup with either noodles, kasha or rice in it. We always choose the noodles. A matzoh ball done right is great. It should be light, not heavy.

www.2ndavedeli.com

Edited: 03 July 2011, 19:09
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is Matzo Ball Soup?

Says you Sue Fee. Sinker lovers of the world unite!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,485 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What is Matzo Ball Soup?

I too love the sinkers.

This is why I did not try to answer this question in the first place. It is one of those delights which take many forms, all of which have their devotees.

I would never claim that one style is better than another...everyone should have a chance to make up their own mind.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is Matzo Ball Soup?

Just wanna thank you for this question. I think that it is one of my fave's over the past month or so. Absolutely nothing to do with apartment rentals, safety or shopping malls. Like a breath of fresh chicken soupy air.

I feel cleansed.