We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dresscode for Restaurants

Germany
Level Contributor
36 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Dresscode for Restaurants

We are visiting NY in july.

Want to go to Wolfgangs Steakhouse one night.

Do they have a dresscode ? What should we wear ?

And is it just important in this kind of restaurants or also in others ?

We don`t want to pack to much clothes and shoes,

Thank you in advance.

Tina

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dresscode for Restaurants

Judging by their website, and their high prices!!, I would categorize the various Wolfgang's locations to be upscale for sure. Wow! Looks great, but lordy, their prices are steep! Hope you have a GREAT experience.

I understand not wanting to over pack....so here are my thoughts.....

Definitely -- no jeans for anyone. Collared shirt for the gentleman.

For the lady -- nice pants, nice blouse, put on some makeup, fix your hair nice, and wear any shoes except sneakers/trainers (what I'm trying to say is that you don't have to wear a dress) and you'll be fine.

For the gentleman - Of course, if you were local, a suit would probably be expected. However, as your traveling, I would think that a nice pair of trousers, dress shoes (or any dark shoe, just no sneakers/trainers/sandals), a dress shirt and definitely a necktie, would be acceptable. If, by some very small chance, they have a "jackets required" rule for men, they will also have a supply of jackets in various sizes to accommodate the situation, so no worries.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dresscode for Restaurants

For most restaurants in New York City in the summer, a man can get by with khakis, a collared shirt, and leather shoes -- that is, what is called "business casual." If a restaurant requires a jacket, it will say so on its website. Jeans, sneakers, and shorts may be fine for going to McDonalds, but they are generally inappropriate clothing for restaurants that have tablecloths on the table..

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dresscode for Restaurants

opentable.com

has a listing for dress code for every restaurant that can be booked there. They list "casual dress" for all the Wolfgang restaurants. I think you'll find slightly different dress at the Tribeca location (more casual) vs midtown and lunch vs dinner. Bottom line, they have NO dress code, so if you don't care what others are wearing, wear whatever you like. During the week in midtown, you'll likely find a lot of people coming from work.

There are a handful of restaurants that have strict dress codes requiring a jacket and these are enforced.

21club.com

rivercafe.com

are 2 of the more popular places requiring a jacket.

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,410 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dresscode for Restaurants

We walked past Wolfgangs a couple of weeks ago and didn't notice any women in there, just men dressed in suits and ties.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dresscode for Restaurants

Most NY restaurants permit casual dress. For a man, a pair of slacks, collared shirt, and shoes works in most places and in every steakhouse I know of. If you are thinking more casual than that, check first to avoid problems.

I won't try to put you off Wolfgang's if your heart is set on it, but if you want to try a real old NY institution, I suggest taking a look at Keens.

Germany
Level Contributor
36 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dresscode for Restaurants

Thank you all !!

casual sounds o.k.. We try and will see.

don`t know if we have the time and chance to go to Wolfgangs.

My husband likes steakes, and we heard that`s one of the best in NY.

Thank you again for your answers !

NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dresscode for Restaurants

Neat casual dress is good in most restaurants and many of the best. Different people have different favorite steakhouses, but Wolfgang's is on most lists.

In case you can't get to Wolfgang's when you want to, here is the Keens website:

http://www.keens.com/

Enjoy your visit!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,230 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dresscode for Restaurants

"We walked past Wolfgangs a couple of weeks ago and didn't notice any women in there, just men dressed in suits and ties"

I suspect this was on a weekday at lunch or after work. Steakhouse bars tend to attract men in suits. Same thing in this neighborhood - if you pass Bobby Vans or Rothman's - the entire crowd is men in suits at the bar. A rare woman sometimes accompanies this group.

Every other place is pretty mixed, but steak houses tend to attract men on expense accounts or men who havent been impacted by the economic downturn and still have to dress for work (bankers and corp lawyers). Even on Fridays when most men in offices are in khaki, these guys are still in suits and white dress shirts (or the occassional daring blue!)

suitcaseready.com

9. Re: Dresscode for Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 04:18