We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please take mercy on me and help with an urgent question

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Topic
Please take mercy on me and help with an urgent question

Sometimes objective third parties can see the light more clearly than those who are too involved. Plus, I know there are many people here who are more familiar with NYC than I am.

We are all set to celebrate our twins' 18th birthday on Thursday, July 7th, by taking a tour of the Museum of Arts and Design, followed by dinner at Robert. (Thanks, nywhiz, for that suggestion ... we're looking forward to it.) We are driving in from the suburbs.

And THEN! Oldest daughter pops out of the woodwork and says she wants to come home from Washington DC to surprise them for their birthday. Nice of her, but seriously do I need this snag at the last minute?

She will be taking a BoltBus because "Mooooommmm, it's so much less expensive than the traaaiiiinnnnn."

She will be dropped off by the BoltBus at the corner of 33rd and 7th at 8:15 p.m., as long as traffic going through the Lincoln Tunnel is not awful.

Says she will walk anywhere to meet us. I'm trying to keep this a surprise from my husband and the twins but I don't know where she should walk so my husband doesn't have to re-park the car after already parking on the Upper West Side.

Please, please ... any ideas

new jersey
Level Contributor
970 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please take mercy on me and help with an urgent question

not sure of the problem, why not just have her meet you at the restaurant? give her the address, tell her when you will be there and text her after you are seated (arrange in advance for the hostess to give you a table for 5, but not to say anything to your party about why)

stuckinnj

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,060 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please take mercy on me and help with an urgent question

Time Warner Center (Columbus Circle/ 59th St & Broadway) would be a 20-25 min walk for her and a @ 15- 20 min walk for you. If it is nice you could meet by the fountain, but if it isn't you could meet at Buchon Bakery on the third floor of the Time Warner Center.

Others may have ideas, but that is one landmark imbetween the two spots.

Edited: 05 July 2011, 21:31
New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,060 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please take mercy on me and help with an urgent question

Actually, that is true, the restuarant would be a much better idea if you will still be dining at the time.

She could just jump in a cab after the bus.

Edited: 05 July 2011, 21:35
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,565 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Please take mercy on me and help with an urgent question

I'm not clear on the timing of your birthday celebration. Where do you expect to be at the time she arives, and afterwards?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please take mercy on me and help with an urgent question

the restaurant makes the most sense to me, but I could be missing something.

Also, not to put a crimp in your plans, but has NYWhiz actually eaten at this place? The prognosis isnt good.... My mother was there for an event and raved about the view, but not the food.

Connecticut, USA
Level Contributor
514 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please take mercy on me and help with an urgent question

I am confused by the question. Are you looking to kill time before dinner or after dinner? You could go to Bouchon Bakery to stock up on yummy desserts to take home with you, but it will only take you a minute to walk there from MAD.

Your older daughter should probably just hop on the A/C or 1/9 subways up to 59th street. (A/C at 8th Ave and 1/9 at 7th Ave) The walk would take her a solid 20-25 minutes as she will be stuck waiting at a lot of lights.

The unpredictability of the bus's arrival time would would make me not want to change the family's dinner reservation, as you all may be stuck waiting around while she is stuck in NJ.

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Please take mercy on me and help with an urgent question

Thanks! I am feeling more calm already.

I guess I am getting hung up on the the facts that 1) our dinner reservations are early (I'm sure we could change them to later); and 2) I don't know how long it is going to take that darn BoltBus to get through the Lincoln Tunnel.

When we went into NYC on June 21st to celebrate the twins' high school graduation, there was a two hour back-up at the Lincoln Tunnel. On a Tuesday afternoon. For no apparent reason. I had to call Asiate twice to ask them to change our reservation time (which they were happy to do).

I guess I am just venting. I think I am going to insist that she should take a train. I'll pay for it.

Thanks again.

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Please take mercy on me and help with an urgent question

Evening ... nywhiz did say that the view was beautiful but that we should not expect too much from the food at Robert. We are okay with that.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Please take mercy on me and help with an urgent question

It's nice that your daughter still wants to spend time with the family and share in her sibs' special day. If she can make it from DC to NY on a bus, she can make it another 25 blocks north and meet the rest of you.

Will you still be in the restaurant at 9PM? If not or you're unsure, you could arrange some other rendezvous point in the general area. Have her call you when she arrives to decide whether plan A or B is in order.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please take mercy on me and help with an urgent question

whew!

and the train is no more reliable than the bus...time-wise....

about this time last year I was on an 8 hour train from Providence to NYC - should be less than 4- yes, another tree fell on the tracks - amazing how often that happens! I know that was an extreme situation, but delays on Amtrak are commonplace.