We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SI Yankees. Baseball - Minor League Style

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
SI Yankees. Baseball - Minor League Style

Last night I went to The Ballpark at St. George to see the Staten island Yankees beat the Connecticut Tigers 4-3. Here is my brief trip report:

HOW TO GET THERE: This is a no brainer. Just take the ferry and follow the crowd. It is about a five minute walk along the water to the back door of the stadium.

THE BALLPARK: The Ballpark at St. George is truly a gem. The seats are situated so that you are looking out into the Harbor with the lights of NYC in the background. Throughout the game, tugboats and container ships glide by. Beautiful. The seats are comfortable, the restrooms are clean. Best of all, in a small stadium you are right on top of the action.

THE COST: My cousin got the ticket as part of a group from Stuyvesant HS Baseball Team. It cost $18 and included free ballpark food as well as a SI Yankees Hat. The food included unlimited hamburgers [ugh], chicken sandwiches [ugh], hotdogs [ok], chips and soda. Better to have eaten the cap. But, it appears that other options were available. Beer was extra, and I treated me and my cousin to Sam'l Adams lagers for $7. Unlike Yankee Stadium or Citi Field, you need not break the bank to see baseball.

THE ATMOSPHERE: A half full stadium of several thousand folks is clearly not the same as 45,000 screaming Yankee fans at Yankee Stadium watching the Bombers take on the BoSox. BUT, there is a quaint low frills charm to minor league baseball. Between innings there are all sorts of silly contests and giveaways . We saw a fun game and a come from behind victory. AND, after this game, and many others, there were great fireworks.

Baseball is an American pastime. For those who just want an inexpensive taste, the Staten Island Yankees or the Brooklyn Cyclones may be just the thing for you. Visitors and NYers alike.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: SI Yankees. Baseball - Minor League Style

Yes, I know this is an old post but it gives me most of the info I need. Thanks, Mel.

I am thinking of seeing a game on my upcoming trip and have the options of a 4pm start (Brooklyn Cyclones) or a 7pm start (Hudson Valley Renegades).

There are less available tickets for the Cyclones game, so I assume there will be more people going to that one.

For those of you that have been, which time would you choose? Day or night? Or, perhaps it doesn't matter as there are advantages to both?

Thanks,

Mez

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SI Yankees. Baseball - Minor League Style

Wow, that one came back from the dead. The search engine is a wonderful thing. Often using it does provide the information that you need, without asking the same question for the umpteenth time. Now, can somebody tell me about Bubba Gumps during New Years Eve?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
584 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SI Yankees. Baseball - Minor League Style

+1. Great summer outing to go and watch a SI Yankees game. Charming ballpark with wonderful view of Manhattan, plus all the things Mel has already noted.

Mez, I don't think you can go wrong, either way. If it were me, I suppose I would prefer to see a night game, in part as I like to see the Manhattan skyline at night. That said, apparently there's a strong rivalry between the Brooklyn Cyclones and the SI Yankees, so if the game itself is a primary motivation for going, then maybe you would be better off with the afternoon game.

Note: I trust that the baseball fans among TA will correct and / or elaborate on my post, as needed.

Edit: Okay, now I remember. The Cyclones are (one of?) the "farm team" for the Mets; SI Yankees are obviously a feeder for the NY Yankees. Hence the rivalry :)

Edited: 12 August 2012, 15:43
Ohio
Level Contributor
8,411 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SI Yankees. Baseball - Minor League Style

We love minor league games and have been to see the cyclones and the si yankees. We took the subway to brighton beach in the afternoon and explored there. We then walked the boardwalk(great people watching) and ate hot dogs from nathans on a bench overlooking the ocean. The stadium is right on the boardwalk and our seats were between 3rd and home so we had a great view of the ocean. When the game ends you walk down the boardwalk by nathans on stillwell ave. and hop on the subway.

5. Re: SI Yankees. Baseball - Minor League Style

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2013, 10:16