We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch near 5th Ave and 49th Street?

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
Save Topic
Lunch near 5th Ave and 49th Street?

I'd like suggestions for lunch before we go to the American Girl Place on Tuesday. Thank-you. We don't want to eat in the American Girl store.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch near 5th Ave and 49th Street?

Anyone?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch near 5th Ave and 49th Street?

www.menupages.com

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch near 5th Ave and 49th Street?

Is Ellen's Stardust Diner really awful or just mildly so?

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,136 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch near 5th Ave and 49th Street?

Rock Center Cafe-

www.patinagroup.com/restaurant.php…

or Buchon Bakery-(Also in Rockefellar Center)

Edited: 10 July 2011, 15:10
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch near 5th Ave and 49th Street?

According to my Massachusetts sister-in-law who was there fairly recently, the food was pretty wretched, more so when you consider the price. But you'd be going for the novelty & entertainment appeal to your young daughter -- and sometimes we parents make such sacrifices ;-) My SIL's recommendation: do not order anything more "fancy" than a sandwich.

Another possibility: La Bonne Soupe. It's not fabulous, but the fare is definitely a cut above Ellen's & they have a children's menu in addition to a daily prix fixe menu.

http://www.labonnesoupe.com

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunch near 5th Ave and 49th Street?

Thank-you, everyone, for offering choices a cut above Ellen's. They all sound good.

We know all about making these types of sacrifices for our kids and now our grandchildren! Thankfully, this granddaughter is a little more adventurous in her tastes than her siblings.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lunch near 5th Ave and 49th Street?

Since your granddaughter's palate apparently extends beyond pizza and chicken fingers, I'll suggest the fancifully-decorated Bar Room at the historic 21 Club, and no, it's not a cocktail lounge:

http://www.21club.com

http://www.21club.com/web/onyc/bar_room.jsp

It's been awhile since I was last there, but it -- and the staff who made rather a fuss over him -- were always a big hit with my son when he was (I'm guessing) your granddaughter's age. And looking around at the decor will hold her interest while waiting for lunch to arrive :-)

…livebookings.com/resources/customers/21club…

They have both an a la carte and a prix fixe lunch menu & still another Restaurant Week menu right now:

http://www.21club.com/web/onyc/prixfixe.jsp

www.21club.com/web/onyc/alacarte_lunch.jsp

http://www.21club.com/web/onyc/restwk11.jsp

And I'm sure they would be happy to serve your granddaughter something from the Lounge's light bites menu, if that would suit her better:

www.21club.com/web/onyc/alacarte_lounge.jsp

An "old time New York" experience that really isn't a tourist trap imo

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lunch near 5th Ave and 49th Street?

P.S. Just wanted to point out, in case it matters to you, that jeans and sneakers are not permitted in the Bar Room at any time of day.

Although the 21 Club still expects men to wear jackets in its upstairs dining room & in the lounge, that isn't true for the Bar Room nowadays.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lunch near 5th Ave and 49th Street?

She's 11 and will try new foods. Thanks so much for giving me several wonderful ideas, CockleCove, MTI, and vjpb.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Lunch near 5th Ave and 49th Street?

Depends on your tastes and budget. You're within walking distance of a plethora of diverse and tasty Midtown eats.

For convenience, just about any place at Rock Center will do. (Bill's Bar and Burger is considered to have one of the best burgers in town.) For an "old-school" NY experience, I like to take kids to Prime Burger. Locals (ordinary Joes and the well-heeled doing Fifth Ave. shopping), celebs, and tourists in the know come to this nostalgic favorite. When we're in this area, my young relatives also are willing to make the four block or so walk to Ess-a-Bagel for some of the best bagels and kosher eats in the City. (The menu has hundreds of bagel "sandwiches," so we don't just eat them for breakfast. The location is closer than Ellen's Diner.) Afterwards, I usually takethe kids to Magnolia Bakery (a very girly experience) for cupcakes or Ben and Jerry's for ice cream. For kids who appreciate authentic Chinese food, I like to take them to Hing Won.