We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ruffian42 - A Tribute

Kent
12 posts
Save Topic
Ruffian42 - A Tribute

It is with great sadness that I write this post. My good friend Steve Ende better known to one and all as 'Ruffian42' passed away last week. His humour lit up this forum from 2005 to 2008 and even a fight with cancer and triple-heart bypass surgery couldn't slow him down.

I'm sure many of the old stagers on here remember Steve with fondness but, for those newer folks, let me give you an example of his wit:

On describing a hotel in Jamaica, Queens, "There are homeless people who live in our subway tunnels who would consider this location a step down."

His 'congratulatory' message to Whiz on her 30,000th post, "I can think of no one who has dispensed more and better advice with heaps of charm and loads of class. Who knows how many tourists and other undesirables have made the decision to visit New York because of your tips and descriptions? You should be thoroughly ashamed. Because of you we are inundated with these people. After 30,000 posts...it's time to KNOCK IT OFF!"

His opinion of the NY Giants (he was a rabid Dolphins fan), "I don't hate the Giants. They're just terrible. Their offensive line is a sieve. They have one decent wide receiver. Their linebackers couldn't tackle a bloated fish floating on top of a pond and their defensive backs have been missing so long the police are probably conducting an investigation as I write this.

On top of that they have a coach who is a cross between a prison warden, a sadist and a serial killer."

He was also a Chelsea supporter but I never held that against him and his other great love was horse racing along with a penchant for Texas Hold'em.

He was the only New Yorker I knew who owned a car and regularly drove it in Manhattan. I'm convinced he did this to disprove the notion that it was a ridiculous thing to do. I was lucky enough to meet him on 3 occasions and, in March this year, had lunch with him and his girlfriend Susan. As usual, he was in great form. He explained to me that restaurants in Manhattan have double doors for one reason only: so that they can place a notice on one saying "Please use other door".

In ending this totally inadequate eulogy to someone who, to me, epitomised everything that I imagined a native New Yorker should be, here's how he marked the passing of a famous celebrity:

"The Pillsbury Doughboy died late last week of a yeast infection and complications from repeated pokes to his belly. He was 71.

Doughboy was buried in a lightly greased coffin. Among the celebrities who turned out to pay their respects were Mrs. Butterworth, Hungry Jack, the California Raisins, Betty Crocker, the Hostess Twinkies, Sara Lee and Captain Crunch.

The gravesite was piled high with flours. Aunt Jemima delivered the eulogy and lovingly described Doughboy as a man who never realized how much he was kneaded.

Although Doughboy rose quickly as an advertising spokesman, his life was filled with turnovers. In truth, he wasn't a very smart cookie, spending much of his dough on half-baked schemes. But despite being flaky at times, he evolved into a crusty old man who became a roll model for millions.

Doughboy is survived by his wife, Play Dough and his two children, John and Jane Dough. Rumors that his wife "had one in the oven" were not true. He was also survived by his elderly Dad, Pop Tart.

The funeral was held at 3:50 for about 20 minutes."

RIP Steve, you will be sadly missed.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ruffian42 - A Tribute

sorry to hear

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ruffian42 - A Tribute

RIP. sad story

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ruffian42 - A Tribute

I remember Ruffian well. So sorry to hear of his passing.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ruffian42 - A Tribute

I don't post here very often these days (or at all really) but I'd like to give tribute to one of the best New Yorkers I've had the good fortune to meet.

If it hadn't been for Steve (or Ruff, as I always called him), via this forum and email, hubby and me wouldn't have had the guts to travel half-way around the world to tie the knot. But, he was always on hand to answer any stupid questions (as a lot of them were... ok, the majority of them were!!) But Ruff was always there with his usual level of knowledge, insight and sarcasm. We were so privileged to have him as a witness at our wedding, he went out of his way (and brought along his England footy top to wear too, although the River Cafe weren't too keen on that idea!) to make our day special. We could not have done it without him and I love that we have as many photos together as we do with Ruff.

I'm sure a lot of you reading the forum now probably missed out on Ruff's brilliant repertoire, but for those of us lucky enough to experience it, I feel lucky and I'm sure you do too.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k18944…

PS. Sorry for the tears before Nic, but I'm absolutely sure Ruff would've been in stitches about it!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ruffian42 - A Tribute

"Good-night, sweet prince; And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xntULAS-FU

So put on your best boys and I'll wear my pearls !

Edited: 10 July 2011, 21:35
Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ruffian42 - A Tribute

"He has broken the surly bonds of Earth to touch the face of God"

His wit and sarcasm were and inspiration to me, esp. the sarcasm!

Poppa

NYC
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ruffian42 - A Tribute

"He explained to me that restaurants in Manhattan have double doors for one reason only: so that they can place a notice on one saying "Please use other door".

That is very funny.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ruffian42 - A Tribute

Ange, absolutely no need to apologise. I can't quite believe he's gone - I will never forget the first time we met. His humour was absolutely infectious but he also gave excellent advice and was a valuable member of this community despite saying that, "the Mayor frowns on me meeting members of the general public, especially tourists"

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,140 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ruffian42 - A Tribute

Although I never got to meet "Ruffian" face to face, I always enjoyed his postings in this forum. It is indeed sad to hear of his passing.

Dallas Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ruffian42 - A Tribute

This makes me sad..May he rest in peace.