We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this a good choice?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
949 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Is this a good choice?

Following on from my previous thread, what do you think of the following for our belated NY honeymoon for two weeks:

- 9 nights at Hotel Thirty Thirty

- 5 nights at mystery 4 star midtown hotel (either Grand Hyatt or Intercontinental)

This is the best I've been able to come up with, unless I manage to get something great on Priceline which isn't looking likely at this stage. The first hotel doesn't seem very great but I can't seem to find anything better within our 3k budget.

Thoughts?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
136 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,113 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
996 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,385 reviews
from US$36.00*
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
949 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this a good choice?

As an alternative to Hotel Thirty Thirty, we could also stay in Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel, which seems to have lovely views, a close by ferry and everything but not sure if the distance from Manhattan would be annoying after a few days.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
894 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this a good choice?

Hi there - we too struggled to find accommodation we could afford in late September. While I can't answer your specific questions on the two hotels, I've read your other post and the advice you've been given there and one of the suggestions was to stay in Long Island City.

We've booked the Country Inns and Suites there for our stay on the advice of the good people here on TA. Manhattan was so expensive and we didn't want to spend a lot of money on somewhere that wasn't so good. When I put your dates in on their website (14 nights from 23rd Sept), the whole stay including taxes comes to $2409.35 including taxes. The hotel is close to Queensboro station for the subway and one stop from Manhattan.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
74 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this a good choice?

Thirty Thirty is ok. We stayed there 2 years ago. Its basic but decent. 2 minute walk from ESB. I think I read somewhere on here that the rooms had recently been renovated.

G

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
949 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this a good choice?

Yes, they've been renovated.

Thanks for the suggestion Greco fan. I had a look at their website and for me, it was a bit over 2.5k which is a good price but I think it would be nice to have a few nights somewhere a bit special. It's only $400 or so more in total so I think it's worth it. Hope you have a great trip.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
949 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this a good choice?

Hotwire deal is gone :{

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
949 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this a good choice?

Never mine, found it. Sorry for the double post

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this a good choice?

The cheapest rooms for 2 people still available at Hotel Thirty Thirty have 2 twin beds, which seem ill-suited for a honeymoon ;-) The rooms with 1 queen bed still available are just $7/night less expensive than the full suite with kitchenette at the Canal Park Inn that I suggested in your other thread & the Canal Park Inn's rates include breakfast. The Inn is in Tribeca and within easy walking distance of SoHo and the Village -- lively neighborhoods with restaurants, bars, and shops that are more appealing, especially for a young couple, than what's around Hotel Thirty Thirty.

Not sure what rate you're seeing for the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor; is it sufficiently low so that even after you add on the commuting costs, it's worth making the commute, if you don't mind doing so? Granted, the Long Island City hotels still available for your dates aren't equivalent to the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor but staying in Long Island City means it won't cost you extra to get to/from Manhattan & will be lots faster.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
949 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this a good choice?

The rate I've got for Thirty Thirty is $194/night + tax for a Queen bed room. Also, I've just found a great deal on Hotwire BUT it is for right in the middle of my proposed stay (for 5 nights). I'm about to book but just want to convince myself about it as it's non-refundable. I am pretty certain about which hotel it is going by the Betterbidding forums and I am happy with it.

Not sure whether I should just arrive earlier and stay in the same hotel for the other 9 nights or try to break it up to see if I can get a better deal. If I keep my original dates it would be 4 nights in Hotel 1 then 5 nights in the Hotwire one followed by 5 nights in another. Maybe it'd be too much hassle - so hard to decide!

The Canal Inn is a great suggestion too. I'll see what else I can find first though. I don't remember the rates for the Sheraton but I won't be going with that as a lot of the NY experience would be lost IMO.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this a good choice?

Is the $194/night queen room at Thirty-Thirty for one of their "classic" rooms or a "premier"? The classic rooms are compact with very little space to stash clothes & luggage:

…tripadvisor.com/media/…chambre.jpg

Edited: 22 July 2011, 13:44
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
949 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this a good choice?

Wow, thanks for pointing that out. It's a classic room.