We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak NYC to Washington

Gwynedd
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Amtrak NYC to Washington

Will be travelling from NYC to Washington end of Aug. Last year we made the same trip and took the Ancel . Express. Having checked the Amtrak site it is 30 m quicker and nearly three times as much as the ordinary train. Is it worth the extra and I cannot find out the number of stops for the Regional train. Help would be appreciated.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,350 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak NYC to Washington

No, it's not usually worth the extra to take the Acela. The number of stops on the regional varies by train - some make all stops and some skip some of the local stops. Focus in the total travel time and cost, and pick the one that makes the most sense for you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak NYC to Washington

It's not worth it, the regional is almost always on time and since it's only 20-30 mins quicker, it's not worth paying more for the Acela.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,274 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak NYC to Washington

I dont have good luck with Amtrak being on time, but I agree that it's not worth the extra money for the Acela. I only take it on business, when I have to be somewhere by a certain time - and even then it's taking a risk!

But, after my 8 hour trip from Providence to NYC last summer (should be 4), where they kept shunting us off to a siding while the Acelas were whizzing by, I would still book a 10am Acela if I have to be in Boston for a 7pm dinner, rather than chancing a regional train. I know the trip from hell was anecdotal - usually my Amtrak delays are more like an hour or two.

and I will still take the risk on the train over flying to Boston or DC anyday!

suitcaseready.com

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
271 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak NYC to Washington

The Acela is not worth the extra money. Remember...Amtrak tickets are priced like airline tickets...the sooner you buy the tickets the cheaper they will be.

Another option... is the Bolt Bus! Clean, good service... free wifi! Owned by Greyhound. Leaves across the street from Penn Station and goes to Union Station. Most expensive fare is about $27. Great way to go as long as you're not leaving NYC/Washington or arriving NYC/Washington during rush hour!

I've taken it many times!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,152 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak NYC to Washington

I'm a fan of the Acela. What I like is that there is a "quiet car" plus it makes fewer stops than the regional train. That said, if I made frequent trips to NYC, I would take the regional train as it is cheaper. Since we don't get to NYC as often as I would like :), then we splurge on the Acela.

I'm also in agreement with evening. When going from DC to NYC, the train always wins out over the plane.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrak NYC to Washington

Sorry to get in on your discussion, but why is flying not as good as train? We are thinking of going to either Boston or DC in January, but find the train to be more expensive then some flights? Any info. much appreciated

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
271 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amtrak NYC to Washington

As a fairly regular commuter to DC from NYC to visit my daughter.... I will never fly again. There seem to always be delays in/out of the NY airports. You need to be there at least an hour early and need to factor in cost and travel time to travel to/from airports.

The Bolt Bus goes to/from NYC to/from Boston and DC. Cheap, clean, and reliable as long as you're not traveling in/out of either city during rush hour.

I am actually in DC now and got Amtrak tickets for $49 each way. If you book your train tickets in advance they are reasonable. Also, you can purchase the tickets online and they are fully refundable until you pick up the ticket. (which you can do at the kiosk at Penn Station, NYC)

With Amtrak or the Bolt Bus you travel from downtown to downtown!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,152 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amtrak NYC to Washington

So true! If you add up the time going through airport security plus any delays that may occur and the travel time to and from the airports to more central city locations, the train makes far more sense than flying.

Just be sure to book a regional train or an Acela as they travel between Boston and DC. Some trains even originate in NYC. There are other trains that travel that corridor and stop in Boston, NYC and DC but their end point is further south (such as Miami). Those trains often have long delays---thus the importance of booking a regional train or an Acela.

Buses are cheaper, to be sure. However, they are at the mercy of road traffic. Depending on the time of day you take a bus, traffic can be horrendous. If you aren't in a rush and don't mind the possibility of getting stuck in traffic, the bus could work for you.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,979 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amtrak NYC to Washington

Most Northeast Regional (i.e. non-Acela) trains also have quiet cars. Look at the timetable for trains with a Q in their heading.

LR
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amtrak NYC to Washington

I've also travelled that route many times and agree that regional train is fine.

If you are not time challenged then do consider the Bolt bus.

Bali4eve, flying between these cities is best avoided as door to door it takes longer and you are at the mercy of the airline delays. It really is a lot less hassle travelling city centre to city centre rather than the inconvenience and cost of getting to the airports.

As you plan to travel in January, you may also need to consider that winter weather can cause havoc - knock-on delays and cancellations (applies to all transport) and therefore have flexible travel plans.