We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting a street-side, higher-floor room. Tip?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Getting a street-side, higher-floor room. Tip?

I'm checking into the Mansfield at the end of August and would prefer a street-side room on a higher floor. Should I simply ask for this when checking in, without offering a tip, or should I give one? If the latter, which amount is sufficient — $5, 10, 20? I didn't see a suggestion for this scenario in the tipping tips.

Mentioned in this post
The Mansfield
The Mansfield
1,916 Reviews
New York City, NY
Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,166 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting a street-side, higher-floor room. Tip?

I would suggest checking in as early as possible. When you check in, just ask the desk clerk for the type of room that you want.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
616 posts
1,060 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting a street-side, higher-floor room. Tip?

If your room is discounted, you don't have much hope, but always ask. I do, and sometimes it works. I always ask for away from elevator, also.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,620 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting a street-side, higher-floor room. Tip?

Email them your request in advance. Why wait until you arrive? I always ask for the type and location of room before I arrive and if they are able to honor the request I then have it in writing and take that with me. They can't always guarantee what you request, but as always, no harm in asking.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting a street-side, higher-floor room. Tip?

yes email them pour it on say after checking hotles you picked theres it works for me, if your travelling with partner say its your anniversary ha

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,326 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting a street-side, higher-floor room. Tip?

I'll 3rd the emailing in advance. Especially about facing the side street. The hotel doesnt want a guest complaining about noise that they then have to move. Better to prevent the situation from the start.

suitcaseready.com

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting a street-side, higher-floor room. Tip?

Thanks everyone. Email has been sent. :)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting a street-side, higher-floor room. Tip?

The reservations manager just responded and has "noted my request." Thanks again.

8. Re: Getting a street-side, higher-floor room. Tip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 08:18