We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC Itinerary - Thoughts?

California
Level Contributor
151 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
NYC Itinerary - Thoughts?

Planning on a trip to NYC in 2 wks! Got 5 of us going - parents and our 3 boys, ages 11,15, and 19. Our very first trip to the Big Apple! We are so excited! Wanted to get input on our current itinerary.

Monday Aug 15:

Arrive 5:30pm Penn Station, Check in hotel.

1. Chinatown

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Tues Aug 16

1. Ground Zero Museum Workshop at 11am.

2. New York Stock Exchange – walk by before the BELL rings 4pm.

3. World Trade Center Site

Wed Aug 17

1. Battery Park

2. Statue of Liberty at 11:00 AM-arrive 1 hour before!!

3. Staten Island Ferry

4. Ellis Island Immigration Museum

5. Coney Island?

Thur Aug 18

1.Metropolitan Museum of Art – FREE

2. Central Park -maybe rent bikes?

3. Strawberry Fields

4. Roosevelt Island Aerial Tram

5. Babbo’s Restaurant at 5:30pm

6. Greenwich Village:

Fri August 19

1. Flatiron building

2. Top of the Rock: - if going in the morning – do we need reservations? Less lines than ESB - is this the case still for

3. FAO Schwarz

4. Grand Central Terminal

5. Empire State Building – just to stop by – won’t go up -was debating hard on this one but seems everyone say TOR was better and less lines.

6. Museum of Modern Art

7. Times Square.

Sat August 20

1. Little Italy

2. Union Square

Leave Sat 1pm Amtrak to Boston

Any thoughts?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC Itinerary - Thoughts?

Feel free to peruse this thread re the Ground Zero Museum Workshop

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4346231…

Little Italy is not worth the bother really.

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,073 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC Itinerary - Thoughts?

Day 1-

You should check out South Street Sea Port- (Pier 17- by the river they have beautiful views of lower Manhattan & the bridge at night) maybe when it is time to sit down for a meal-

http://www.southstreetseaport.com/

Day 2

This is a great place with wonderful views of the Hudson right in that area- for lunch or an early dinner-

http://pjclarkes.com/hudson/

Day 3

Coney Island is a little far (1 hour each way on the train= 2 hours subway) I am assuming you are staying in Chinatown (because of you itinerary) so catching the Q train at Canal St. would be your best bet, but if there isn't time left to take on this trip you could possibly do the HiLine (in Chelsea) and Chelsea Piers.

http://www.thehighline.org/

Day 4

For central park- I Highly recommend lunch at the concession stand at the boat house in central park and renting the row boats (bikes are only allowed on the main through ways[not that interesting], but the row boats are right in the middle of the park)-

thecentralparkboathouse.com/sections/boats.h…

For Greenwich Village I always recommend starting at Union Square Park and walking down University to Washington square park to see the fountain and the arch.

Day 5

This is a little back and forth I would do;

1) TOTR (you buy timed tickets)

2) FAO (If you have to wait for your ticket time you can do this first- or if not then do it 2nd)

3) MOMA

4) Times Square

5) Grand Central

6) ESB

7) Flat Iron (& then You Can try Shake Shack the lines are a bit better in the evening- lunch time is impossible)

Have fun!

texas
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC Itinerary - Thoughts?

MOMA is free after 4 on Fridays, in case you did not know. Also we loved St John the Divine church, in case you could add a little bit of time to see it. It was beautiful and huge. Roosevelt tram was my daughters favorite thing to do.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC Itinerary - Thoughts?

The Friday lines at MOMA are ridiculously long - don't go til 6 or get a combo ticket with Top of the Rock. Your boys will enjoy the talk to me exhibit. Have your boys had any input to your itinerary? Are they interested in the Intrepid?

Instead of the Ground Zero museum visit the Tribute Visitor Site

You will find a good writeup about the WTC site and Man on Wire on my blog

Sue

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

California
Level Contributor
151 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC Itinerary - Thoughts?

Thanks ztaks, ndw1964, MTI-n-NYC, and vjpblovesital for all your suggestions. Will go to MOMA around 6pm hopefully and change my Day 5 around a bit. Thanks!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC Itinerary - Thoughts?

As the others suggested, please do not waste your money at the Ground Zero Museum Workshop. It is run by people who are only out to get your money and not to honor the memories of those affected by 9/11. PLEASE visit the Tribute Center at the WTC site instead. It is well worth your time and money.

California
Level Contributor
151 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC Itinerary - Thoughts?

It's funny how people are saying this about Ground zero museum workshop now. Two months or so ago - this workshop was the number one tourist attraction on TA. At the time a Groupon gave a great deal so I got it. Oh well - hopefully it will be ok. Thanks!

new york
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC Itinerary - Thoughts?

I think that your day 2 looks light (although I don't really know how much is involved in the workshop since I have heard that it is not recommended as it isn't actually the charity it should be), whereas day 4 looks packed. It is easy for people to manipulate the reviews on this site - I always read them but also look through the forums to get a better idea of what is truly recommended.

new york
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC Itinerary - Thoughts?

I forgot to ask why you are doing the staten island ferry when you are also going to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Most people do the SI ferry to get a distant look at the statue for free.

California
Level Contributor
151 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYC Itinerary - Thoughts?

Guess just to say we went on the Staten Island Ferry. Perhaps will move?