We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oldest in NYC

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Oldest in NYC

Hi what is the oldest building in New York City the The Pieter Claesen Wyckoff House is the oldest but would take me over 2hrs by subway to get there and back, so what is the oldest in the city itself

Cheers

Near Manchester
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Oldest in NYC

Not sure of building but the oldest pub I believe is the Bridge Cafe - gotta be worth a visit!!!!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oldest in NYC

now i like the sound of that thanks old buildings and the pubs

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oldest in NYC

Where is the PCW House?

Edited: 03 August 2011, 11:35
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,318 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oldest in NYC

The PCW house can be explained below. It is located in Brooklyn which is just as part of NYC as Manhattan,

http://www.wyckoffassociation.org/

Note to the OP. You want something old in Manhattan, since Brooklyn is "the city" too!

UK
Level Contributor
256 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oldest in NYC

.. but not when it was built!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oldest in NYC

before I read this thread, just going off the title I was going to suggest Bilmin! ;-)

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,128 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oldest in NYC

The oldest continuously operating building in Manhattan is St Paul's. It has been a church since the 1760's. You might also want to visit the Morris Jumel Mansion.

www.historichousetrust.org/item_list.php

Sue

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oldest in NYC

The Wyckoff house was built in 1652 and is the oldest in NYC, and the second oldest in the state. A carpenters shed on Gardiner's Island built in 1639 or the Old House in Cutchouge [Long Island] built in 1649 is the oldest.

In Manhattan, one of the problems was that there was a huge fire that destroyed much of the colonial city. The oldest surviving building is Fraunces Tavern from 1719. Etienne "Stephen" DeLancey built the current building as his house; it has been a tavern since 1762.

St Pauls Chapel was built in 1764, but is not the oldest in the State. That prize goes to The Old Dutch Church in Sleepy Hollow [Westchester] which dates from 1685. Gimme that ol' time religion

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oldest in NYC

Great Mel You know so much! Now what about the Brooklyn Museum partial houses, pretty convenient to Manhattan by subway.

brooklynmuseum.org/exhibitions/…index.php

brooklynmuseum.org/exhibitions/decorative_ar…

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,128 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oldest in NYC

Mel you are very good but Frances Tavern has been rebuilt several times. It was actually bombed in the 60's they try to rebuild it from sketches of the original and it might have original brick and the museum, bar, and restaurant are worth a visit.