We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Child transfer assistance at JFK

Boston
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Child transfer assistance at JFK

Our teenage child will be arriving from Hong Kong this Sunday 7:00 a.m. Will need to transfer from Cathay to Delta or Jet Blue and fly to Boston. We're pretty confident this won't be a problem, but just in case I'd like to have someone meet our child and help get to the proper airline (which will depend on flight time). This would entail general ap navigation (Airtrain), any counter assistance, so forth. Probably not necessary, but just in case.

I've searched for a service that can provide this, but no luck so far.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,351 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Child transfer assistance at JFK

How old is this child?

New Haven...
Level Contributor
504 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Child transfer assistance at JFK

Some airlines offer in-flight assistance and will stay with the child (usually under 12) under a parent/guardian collects them - I don't know of any that will actually walk them to the counter and put them on a transfer. Honestly, a teenager should be capable of handling these things on their own, and Cathay agrees - it must be specifically requested that teenagers are treated as unaccompanied minors because in most cases no special arrangements are required.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Child transfer assistance at JFK

Is this the daughter who was 13 in 2007?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Child transfer assistance at JFK

I'll do it.

I'm doing nothing this weekend, so all it will cost is a flight from MAN-JFK on Saturday, some beers for me Saturday evening, and the hotel cost in NYC that night. I'll meet your teenage child, (though I may be a little hungover!), ensure they're safely through the security at whichever airline you end up choosing, and I'll fly back home to MAN.

I'm too expensive? Dammit... :D

5. Re: Child transfer assistance at JFK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 August 2011, 23:05
Near Manchester
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Child transfer assistance at JFK

Nice try M4RKM ;-)

I dont think it matters how old you are - landing at an airport and changing planes can be quite daunting for some people. To assume that there is 'a handicap' with someone just because their parents worry about them is wrong - you dont even know how old the child is, not that it should matter.

People come on this forum for advice not to be insulted.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Child transfer assistance at JFK

Violins did not insult anyone and offered the most pertinent advice on this thread, OldWomanWithCats. Unless there are health issues involved, there are no services to guide people through various points of an airport.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
504 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Child transfer assistance at JFK

Can't understand why my post was removed. Shame.

Boston
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Child transfer assistance at JFK

Jeez, didn't mean to start a flame war, or whatever. I just want to know how to help my 16 year old kid, who will have been traveling for more than 24 hours straight when she arrives at JFK, get to Delta or Jet Blue and on to Boston. (!)

Boston
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Child transfer assistance at JFK

You're hired!