We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York or Boston

East Anglia
Level Contributor
342 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
New York or Boston

Never been to the states before, coming from the uk for a short 4 night break, was wonder what's the best city to explore, any advise would be great thanks

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York or Boston

Depends what appeals to you I guess. I'd pick NYC because it's such an amazing place. Saying that, I'm sure Boston could offer you a great holiday!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,512 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York or Boston

This is the New York forum so the replies are going to be one way. 4 Days will barely scratch the surface of New York, you could spend weeks there. Boston on the other hand is much smaller and you could see a lot of it in 4 days.

I like both places and don't think you can really go wrong with either. I have been to New York many times and Boston twice, I don't feel the need to visit Boston again in the near future.

Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York or Boston

I visited both last May and I have to agree with FatChris that you would be able to see and do much more in Boston with the time you have. I spent four days there and did see and do pretty much all I wanted to but for me 4 days in New York would never be enough time. You would only scratch the surface and possibly feel somewhat frustrated that you didn't have more time there. Boston is quite small and easy to get around so I would suggest you go there, it really is lovely.

Connecticut, USA
Level Contributor
514 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York or Boston

You have posted NY vs Boston and NY vs DC. I think you have already decided on NY for yourself unless of course you have posted DC vs Boston in another forum. Boston is lovely, but it is not NY, and DC is just a different animal entirely. NY is just unlike any other US city for its scale, energy, diversity and opportunity.

You could more easily tackle DC or Boston in four days, but NY is more fun. Baysidegirl summed things up nicely: you will only scratch the surface of NY in four days but would see all that you want to see in Boston in that time.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York or Boston

I lived for four years in Boston, and will do nothing to disparage that great city. But there is only one New York. To me, Boston has most of what NYC has, only smaller. Where NYC has Central Park, Boston has the Commons. Where NYC has the East and West Village, Boston has Newbury Street. Boston has the Museum of Fine Arts and the Gardiner Museum, NYC has the MET, MoMA, Whitney, Guggenheim and the Frick.

As a tourist, you could probably see most of the major sites in Boston in 4 days. In NYC, you would need a heck of a lot more time. But four days in NYC would be a great taste that will leave you wanting more.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
458 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York or Boston

The first year we visited NYC we did 4 days in Boston 5 in New York and 4 in DC. We came again at the Christmas for 5 days that same year. The second year we did 3 boston 7 New York and 3 DC. This year we did 14 in NYC. Yes 4 days is only a flying visit but it will whet your appetite and you will crave to come back to continue the discovery of so many things in this amazing city.

I loved Boston, it is very european in its style and the people were terrific, DC was as someone else said a whole different animal and I am still not sure how I would describe it although we did enjoy the stay. NYC, well we have been 4 times in all now and plan to come again next year as there is still so much we want to do and see. I dont think it matters how long you stay for you will want to come back as there will always be something to see and experience. Go to New York, you wont regret it.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York or Boston

The advice above is spot on - Boston can be covered more easily in your time frame, but pales in comparison on every front to New York (except the Sox). There really is no other city like NYC.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,272 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York or Boston

Ive been to Boston and have to go again in Oct (so, I'm researching the trip now) - it's a nice place to visit for a couple of days, but there is no comparsion. The same 10 restaurants come up over and over again; in NYC the same 10 pizza restaurants come up over and over again....or 10 BBQ, or dim sum, or Indian, or steak, etc.

The art museum does have some good shows - I'm sorry I'm missing Chihuly but not enough to make a special trip!

suitcaseready.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,112 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York or Boston

NYC-- 1,000% !

There is no city like it. Every other city is a pale imitation (not counting Paris).

Yes, you will only scratch the surface, and can probably cover more of Boston in 4 days -- but to me that is an argument for coming to NYC and starting!

You will never have a single period to see all of NYC - so start now.

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New York or Boston

HI

We have now been to NYC twice, 4 days each time and still only seen a fraction. We are going back for a few days in December and then taking Amtrak to Boston. For us NY would be top of the list of cities you HAVE to see to believe! Best piece of advice we can give is to try NOT to spend too much time shopping - once you go into Macy's you can easily spend a whole day in there!

If you go try hard to book a Big Apple Greeter - it's free and we had a brilliant time

http://www.bigapplegreeter.org do book as far in advance as you can