We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC vacation -reputable apart/hotels

Newcastle, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
NYC vacation -reputable apart/hotels

Hi, we are planning a trip to New York starting 16 Sept 2011 for a fortnight. Ideally, we would like to have cooking facilities and private bathroom. We are cautious about booking apartments after reading about many scams although this was our original intention. Our budget would be £100 - £150 per night.

We would also like to travel to another area, by public transport within say 2/3 hours of NYC (we can be flexible with distance) and have no idea where might be a nice place to stay. We like to walk, love the sea and would prefer to selfcater. A small quiet unspoilt scenic town would be perfect -can anyone recommend anything like this. We did not want to hire a car and may chose to stay 1 week thus having a week in each destination.

We would appreciate any ideas?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC vacation -reputable apart/hotels

We use USDs here.

Who is "we"

How many beds?

NY, NY
Level Contributor
131 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC vacation -reputable apart/hotels

You are planning a visit for one of the busiest periods in NYC - so in addition to the previous poster's questions let us also know if that budget is per person?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC vacation -reputable apart/hotels

The only reputable places to find something with cooking facilities are in suite hotels like

radiocityapartments.com

affinia.com

nycsalisbury.com

beaconhotel.com

milburnhotel.com

Best Western Hospitality

OR in some b & b's that rent the equivalent of an apt. like

www.chelsealodgesuites.com

west-eleventh.com

www.wymanhouse.com

jacksbandb.com

Some will have more "cooking" aparatus than others.

I can tell you your budget is on the low end for mid Sept. in Manhattan when the UN General Assembly opening and loads of other events fill hotels and drive up prices. You may have to consider staying outside Manhattan but may not find self catering options. Long Island City is a popular place to stay just outside Manhattan, but none of the better hotels there have kitchens.

As to your second location, there are not many places where I'd want to spend a week without a car. Are there in the UK? You could go to Montauk Long Island, at the eastern end of Long Island. You get there by train (Long Island Railroad) or

hamptonjitney.com

There are quite a few motels/condos on the beach or across from the beach that have kitchens but many are not that close to the main part of town for shopping and restaurants.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC vacation -reputable apart/hotels

£1 = $1.6

Does everyone on here have a phobia of using calculators, and have to diss posters. Can you tell i'm fed up of people being arrogant on this forum.

$160 - $240 inc tax

$140 - $210 ex tax

I personally don't think it's doable.

If the OP gets to NYC on the 16th September, I'll be in town tearing around the beer bars.. :)

M

Edited: 04 August 2011, 16:10
New Haven...
Level Contributor
504 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC vacation -reputable apart/hotels

It's an NYC forum... if they want our help, THEY need to do the work and convert to OUR currency. If I were traveling to the UK I would convert my budget to their currency before asking for assistance :)

Newcastle, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC vacation -reputable apart/hotels

Ok, thankyou everyone for your comments and time.

'We' are 2 people - 1 double (queen?) bed required. Would a budget of $180 -$320 inc tax per night, per room be any more doable?

In the Uk we have fairly good transport links and the use of a car is not always a necessity as it is easy to travel around from place to place.using public transport and our feet. The distances in the US are a different story, I'm sure, which is why I was seeking some advice - it doesn't have to be a beach area - just somewhere in contrast to NY that is quieter and a nice place to stay, with some interesting places to visit and some places to eat close by.

I will look further into the selfcatering option as it seems to be problematic, and thankyou for the list of recommended websites.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC vacation -reputable apart/hotels

More rural areas or even suburban areas are not well served by local buses and trains. The trains pretty much run to transport people between cities or from the city to the country. Once you get to the country, people use cars to get around.

The Berkshires are a lovely area north of NYC but it's not easy to get there by public transport (although not impossible) and once you get there, it's not easy to get around. The issue I was focusing on was staying for a week without a car. You could certainly manage for a weekend. Places north of Manhattan like Cold Spring and Rhinebeck/Rhinecliff would be a fine long weekend. Spring Lake, NJ is a beach area with train service from NYC and inns across from the water.

You might consider getting on a plane to go somewhere else.

Newcastle, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC vacation -reputable apart/hotels

Thankyou for the info - it is very helpful.

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
231 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC vacation -reputable apart/hotels

If you'd like to see another city nearby, you could take the bus or train to Boston as it's an easy city to walk around in if you do not have a car. (It's not a rural area, though)

10. Re: NYC vacation -reputable apart/hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 August 2011, 07:28