We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TOTR vs EmpState- our vote is TOTR

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
227 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
TOTR vs EmpState- our vote is TOTR

Sat afternoon at 2:45, walked right up to TOTR ticket window with our vouchers, bought 2-for-1 tickets, hopped on the elevator and were absolutley wowed by the views- the view OF the Emp State Bldg and lower Manhattan was more impressive than the view FROM the ESB. And the unobstructed view of Central Park was breathtaking.

I had printed out an extra voucher that we did not need, so I turned to the woman behind me in line and offered it to her. I don't think she believed me at first, but then she smiled and said, "Don't you just love these random acts of kindness?"

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TOTR vs EmpState- our vote is TOTR

Silly me - but for those of us elsewhere what is TOTR?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TOTR vs EmpState- our vote is TOTR

Top of the Rock, that is the reopened observation deck on top of Rockefeller Center...it is truly wonderful, I highly recommend it.

Wrexham, UK
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TOTR vs EmpState- our vote is TOTR

Loved TOTR - didn't bother with Empire State Building though perhaps I should have to be able to make the comparison

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TOTR vs EmpState- our vote is TOTR

Thanks for that - just checked out the website- sounds gr8.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,819 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: TOTR vs EmpState- our vote is TOTR

I would also agree that the views from TOTR are better than from the ESB. The ironic thing is that one of the reasons the view from the TOTR is beter, IMHO, is that you get a great view of the ESB with Lower Manhattan in the background. The best time is to go up before dusck so that you see the lights come on.

Also, at the very top of the TOTR, you get uninterrupted views, i.e. no railings or screens, unlike the ESB.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
98 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TOTR vs EmpState- our vote is TOTR

I've heard about these 2-for-1 TOTR vouchers. I checked the website and haven't located them. Where should I go to get them? I'm going to NYC in early June with my wife and TOTR is on the list!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,786 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TOTR vs EmpState- our vote is TOTR

Do you think when attendance at the ESB drops off and their Powers that Be figure out that it is because of the superior service provided by TOTR that the ESB will become more user-friendly?

I'm also looking forward to TOTR just to see the ESB at that level! Is the view to the Chrysler building also good? We are planning on bringing binoculars.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TOTR vs EmpState- our vote is TOTR

The view of the Crysler Building is much better at ESB, it is partly obstructed from TOTR.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TOTR vs EmpState- our vote is TOTR

Medium Tex - post a message on the thread for TOTR vouchers started by NYCgirl. Someone will email it to you if you leave your email address.

Jackson, TN
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TOTR vs EmpState- our vote is TOTR

Went to the ESB a few years ago and went to TOTR this past weekend. I prefered the TOTR more by far.