We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report July 28th - August 1st

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
477 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report July 28th - August 1st

My daughter, my sister and I spend a long weekend in NYC. My daughter and I flew in on July 28th and would meet up with my sister who was flying in the next day. This is our annual get together since she moved to the states. And my first time in New York City.

July 28th - flew into LGA at 10:30 am and got a yellow cab to Yotel. I thought the cab was pricy (fare/toll/tip - $40). I had initially estimated around $35.

We got to Yotel early and they allowed us to check in right away. Awesome new hotel! Everything was so clean and our room was amazing. I liked the Galley on each floor that served water and hot beverages at no charge.

We immediately headed out to start our trip and to get something to eat. We caught the subway at Port Authority intending to head towards American Museum of Natural History. After travelling a few stops we realized we were headed in the wrong direction. We quickly got off and a lady was nice enough to help us with our directions. Soon we got to our stop. But we were dying of hunger and quickly found the restaurant that I wanted to try - Fatty Crab (expensive and overrated). We finished our lunch then walked over to the museum. The line up was pretty long, it took us about 1/2 an hour to get our tickets. I thought the museum was okay, we spent about an hour there.

We were getting a bit tired so we headed back to our hotel to rest a couple of hours. Then we headed out to dinner at Theatre Row Diner (mediocre, inexpensive restaurant). We spent the rest of the night walking on Times Square and doing shopping. Wow, never seen anything like Times Square - so many people - no where to walk - so many things to see!

We headed back to our hotel by walking along 9th Avenue. Loved seeing all the little restaurants on this street. I noticed a little ice cream shop so we made a detour and stopped in to have a smoothie, ice cream and cupcake (best cupcake ever). The place was called Cafe Jolie.

Edited: 08 August 2011, 00:36
Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
477 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report July 28th - August 1st

July 29th - 11am - checked out of Yotel and headed towards Hilton Fashion District New York for the rest of our stay. We were also meeting our sister there. We took the subway over and got there very quickly.

Our room wasn't ready yet so we left our luggage with them. We waited next door at the Argo Tea Shop for our sister to arrive. Once she arrived, we checked in her luggage then headed for lunch at Canaan Sushi - a tiny sushi place on 29th. The hotel finally called us so we were able to check in shortly.

We spent the rest of the afternoon walking along 5th Avenue and doing some shopping. We didn't really buy anything - just window shopped and popped into a few stores. We had reservations that night a Dohyo Restaurant. We were planning on walking over to the place but it soon started downpouring. We managed to hop onto the subway before getting too wet. We got off at Port Authority and had to walk/run the rest of the way in the downpour. We got soaked! We must've looked like drowned rats when we got to the restaurant. The food was amazing (highly recommend).

After dinner, we wanted to go see the new Harry Potter movie at the AMC. We got there and every single show was sold out! So we purchased tickets for the next night. We walked along Times Square, popped into a few stores and walked the rest of the way back to our hotel.

Edited: 08 August 2011, 00:49
Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
477 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report July 28th - August 1st

July 30th - We walked all the way to chinatown in the sweltering heat! It took us over an hour and we were dying. We stopped into a dessert shop in chinatown to rest and cool off and to drink some watermelon shakes. We felt better after 30 minutes so headed out again.

There wasn't much for us to see in chinatown so walked across Broome to Broadway to do some shopping. We went onto Canal Street to see if there were anything good to buy (but nothing caught my eye). Great shops in Soho/Broadway area, I especially loved Top Shop. It was getting late and we hadn't eaten yet so we stopped into Sals Little Italy for a late lunch (great food). We then finished the rest of our shopping and headed back to our hotel. We were exhausted!

Later that night we headed out to see Harry Potter. After the movie we stopped off to grab some falafel and fries from MOAZ then headed back to the hotel.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
477 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report July 28th - August 1st

July 31st - We were tired from all our walking the previous days so were starting to get lazy. We got up late then headed back out to chinatown for dimsum at Oriental Gardens (yum). We shared a table with another customer and they were fascinated by all the food we ordered and ate! LOL. We then finished up the rest of our shopping in SOHO and then headed back to our hotel. We didn't want to do anything that night. We just stayed close to the hotel and had burgers at BRGR, just at the corner of the hotel.

August 1st - Had a late breakfast at MARKT, got ready and then headed to the airport.

It was a great trip - people were really friendly and helpful! Plan on coming back again when hotel prices are more reasonable.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report July 28th - August 1st

I had not heard of Yotel or Cafe Jolie before..... I'll finish reading your report later.

5. Re: Trip Report July 28th - August 1st

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 18:16