We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK to Newark airport

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
JFK to Newark airport

I'm staying in Long Island, NY what is the most convenient way to go to Newark. Is it better to take a train to JFK and then take a shuttle to Newark. My plane leaves at 6:20pm, and how long does it take? Is it very expensive?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK to Newark airport

Do you mean Long Island City in Queens, NY??

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK to Newark airport

I believe Setauket, NY

Edited: 17 August 2011, 01:20
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK to Newark airport

That looks way out on the island

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK to Newark airport

It very long trip and $$$?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK to Newark airport

That trip will take 3-4 hours, even if you can get a ride to the Long Island Railroad. I think you need to reevaluate whatever it is you have planned. A cab will cost hundreds of dollars.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,757 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK to Newark airport

It's a fairly long, but not complicated, trip from Setauket. You would take the Long Island Rail Road from Stony Brook or Port Jefferson to Penn Station. There you'd get a New Jersey Transit ticket to Newark Airport. You'd take the NJ Transit train to the Newark Airport rail station, and then the AirTrain monorail to your terminal. For Newark Airport, the AirTrain fee is built into the cost of the NJ Transit ticket.

Edited: 17 August 2011, 02:56
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,757 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JFK to Newark airport

The LIRR fare from Port Jefferson or Stony Brook to Penn Station will be $16.25 during peak periods, and $11.75 otherwise. The NJ Transit/AirTrain combined fare from Penn Station to Newark Airport will be $12.50 at all times.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,527 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JFK to Newark airport

You should reevaluate your plans to use Newark. JFK or LGA would be much much easier. Have a look on

maps.google.com

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,527 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JFK to Newark airport

PS for that matter, Islip airport (ISP) serviced by Southwest is even closer to Setauket.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JFK to Newark airport

It's our first time traveling to New York. The problem is that we are using our mile points, and Newark was the only opening. But next i will not go to Newark. Does anybody have a website to to get prices of the trains?