We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LGA to Affinia Manhattan--train or car?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
123 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
LGA to Affinia Manhattan--train or car?

We are coming in about 7pm at LGA and our hotel is the Affinia, right across from Penn Station...

Was wondering what the best mode of transportation is for us to get from the airport to our hotel.

I read the FAQ's on getting from airport to hotel, but it didn't quite answer my question on what is the most preferred route.

Thanks much!!

nyc
Level Contributor
92 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LGA to Affinia Manhattan--train or car?

Most people will probably recommend a taxi, but I've always thought it to be a waste of money. I'd take the Q33 bus to its last stop (Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av), and then any letter subway train: the "E" will take you to 34 St & 8 Av., while the "F," "M," and "R" will take you to 34 St. & 6 Av., either being just a few blocks from your hotel, which is on 7 Av. & 31 St., I believe.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
310 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LGA to Affinia Manhattan--train or car?

Another vote for train. I took a taxi the first time from Laguardia and have taken the bus/subway every other time. It's quite easy and makes me feel more like I'm in New York. However, if you've got lots of bags, no way.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
123 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LGA to Affinia Manhattan--train or car?

Thanks! We will only have carry ons so train should work.

How long of a commute time will it be?.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
310 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LGA to Affinia Manhattan--train or car?

with waiting for the bus it took me about an hour to get from LGA to Grand Central Terminal (midafternoon.)

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LGA to Affinia Manhattan--train or car?

Note that the "train" option is not a really a train option, because no subway stops at LaGuardia; it is instead a bus + train option. Now, that is not saying that the bus + train is a bad option -- but it is not quite as speedy or convenient as using the same mode of transportation for the whole trip.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,213 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LGA to Affinia Manhattan--train or car?

Buy a Metrocard at the airport so that your bus to subway transfer will be "free," that is, a single fare will cover both.

Seattle
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: LGA to Affinia Manhattan--train or car?

Arriving on Thursday into Laguardia at 4pm. Will it be smooth sailing to Manhattan and slow going cross town to Penn Station? Since yellow taxis are metered from LGA would it be less to do the Dial 7/Carmel car at that time or about the same?

Thanks for the help!

texas
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LGA to Affinia Manhattan--train or car?

I was there for first time in January and took a taxi. I think it was 30, including tip. I could be wrong, but think that is what I paid.I was not going to waste one minute of NYC waiting on a bus. We got to hotel quickly, freshened up, and were out the door for vacation time. That is just my opinion, of course.

We went from LGA to Affinia Shelburne.

Edited: 31 August 2011, 04:38
9. Re: LGA to Affinia Manhattan--train or car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 09:18