We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not really a travel question...Silver Dollars

Broken Hill...
Level Contributor
175 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Not really a travel question...Silver Dollars

Does anyone know how much silver dollars and half dollars are worth and where to sell them in NYC? Not really a travel question, but I'll be over in January and have some to sell but don't know where to start. thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not really a travel question...Silver Dollars

Are you talking about actual pieces of silver? Or are you talking about dollar coins that look silver (but aren't), like the Susan B. Anthony or Dwight Eisenhower dollar coins? I ask because people often refer to the latter as "silver dollars" and they are worth . . . $1 each.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not really a travel question...Silver Dollars

It depends on the years etc. There are books out with coin values. Here's one website but I have no idea how accurate it is.

www.coinstudy.com/silver-dollar-values.html

Bettembourg...
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not really a travel question...Silver Dollars

Maybe contact Or visit Stack's Coins at 123 West 57th Street btwn 6th & 7th Aves.

http://news.stacks.com/ (212) 582-2580

Edited: 19 August 2011, 15:12
Broken Hill...
Level Contributor
175 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not really a travel question...Silver Dollars

I'm talking about the big round ones that you can't get anymore. I think some of them have JFK on them? Thanks for those other leads, I'll look them up

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not really a travel question...Silver Dollars

The value of Kennedy half dollars depends on the date. The earliest ones contain a lot of silver and are valuable as a result; those after 1971 do not and are worth face value.

…ha.com/c/…Kennedy_Half_Dollars

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,370 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not really a travel question...Silver Dollars

And whether they are circulated (valuable) or uncirc (not as much)

Pjk

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Not really a travel question...Silver Dollars

We have contacted Christie's in the past with questions regarding arranging an appraisal of different items. They might suggest a coin appraiser.

http://www.christies.com/about/help/contact/

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Not really a travel question...Silver Dollars

Okay ..... so I've been a stamp collector since I was like 9 years old. I have collected a block (four stamps) of just about every single "uncancelled" US stamp issued since I started collecting. Stamp collecting used to be popular hobby, but not so much anymore. But I did see many people still collecting stamps while I was in Asia. My wife tells me that in Thailand they encourage children to collect stamps because it's a very "calming" hobby. Anyway, so when I tell people I collect stamps they often ask me: "So what do you think your collection is worth?"

Well, that's kind of a weird question because I collect out of enjoyment, it's some sort of internal thing but it's not so much for the value itself. It's mainly because of a nagging fear that if I stop ordering the US stamps then someday I might regret those one or two stamps that I missed in my collection .... and I will feel incomplete. So that's where I think the actual "value" comes in to collectors. The few stamps I am missing are very "valuable" to me because I will never feel "whole" without them ..... but most anyone else in the general population couldn't care less for an uncanceled block of "Malcolm X" stamps (they were sold out before I had a chance to order them so I had to go to a Chinese stamp shop on east Broadway and buy them). Hey ..... I have to sleep at night !! See, the stamps are usually only "valuable" to a fellow stamp attic .... which are becoming few and far between.

So here's my point, it's not that your half dollar coin is gonna make you rich if you sell it ..... no .....it's more like your half dollar coin cost you fifty cents and now it's worth $1 dollar ..... but that's a whooping 100% increase in value. The .03 cent blocks of four uncancelled stamps that I saved from when I was nine years old ..... I can now find on sale in a flea market for maybe $2 or $3. So my .12 cents (4 x 3) became $2 dollars. That's a huge increase ..... but nevertheless, it aint gonna make anyone rich. My aunt was the person that first introduced me to stamp collecting (or was it in an Asian opium den, I can't recall) back when I was child and she had an enormous collection (btw, when she passed away it actually went to one of my cousins who was not a collector, so he just went ahead and sold it). But it used to break my heart when my aunt in her later years used to send me a birthday card, and she was used strips of the old stamps she had collected 50 years earlier ..... as regular postage. So that''s my fall back plan in my old age too. I probably have like $10,000 dollars worth of unused US postage stamps just waiting to be ...... slowly ..... and methodically ..... licked.

Besides, even if your half dollar coins are worth $1 dollar now ..... you still need to find a buyer.

Edited: 19 August 2011, 16:23
Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Not really a travel question...Silver Dollars

Perhaps you have the silver dollar version of one of these?

http://www.blifaloo.com/info/rare_coins.php

Broken Hill...
Level Contributor
175 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Not really a travel question...Silver Dollars

Thanks for those links........seems I'm not as rich as I thought I was !!