We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendation for after Wicked matinee...

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant recommendation for after Wicked matinee...

I originally chose Vnyl for dinner this night, but am having second thoughts after reading more reviews. We are making our way to pier 78 (12th ave & 38th St) for a cruise at 7pm from the show and want to have dinner in between. Vinyl was appealing for the atmosphere, but we also want good food. Looking to spend around $20 per person (drinks excluded). I have a 14 year old daughter who is interested in the usual suggestions...Ellen's Stardust, Serendipity & Juniors but I also want this dinner to be about good food too. Trying to keep it American cuisine to please everyone but want something more than diner grub. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,170 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,056 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant recommendation for after Wicked matinee...

It sounds like you need to eat about 5 pm, correct? If you consider good pizza to be good food, then I would suggest John's Pizza on 44th. near Times Square.

I liked the singing waiters at Ellen's but the food isn't very good.

Bettembourg...
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant recommendation for after Wicked matinee...

Simply stated, just not a great area for food. The entrance is on 50th which actually has a drive through to 51st. On the 51st side you have some pre-theatre dining options... all rather average in quailty, none the less convenient. Italian, Thai, ... all no rez required... unless occupying a bus load of tourists. Ey, no rez needed.

Edited: 19 August 2011, 22:54
Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,246 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant recommendation for after Wicked matinee...

You might want to try Daisy May's ribs enroute to your cruise. Tolouche is good Mexican but might be pricier than you are looking for. Lots of choices on 9th Avenue including Island Burgers and Shakes.

Thailia at 50th and 8th might have food in your range. E and E's grill on 49th is probably above your range.

NYC
Level Contributor
15 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant recommendation for after Wicked matinee...

$20 p/p is a challenge for good. I'd definitely NOT recommend Juniors or Serendipity. Vinyl also may not be a place for mother/daughter. For NY Italian experience, you may want to try Becco (http://becco-nyc.com/menus/). It may be a bit over $20, but has good food at very reasonable price, and is one of local favorites. Owned by Joe/Lidia Bastianich. There are also other small and reasonable restaurants on 9th Avenue between 42-50 streets, lots of reasonable Thai restaurants.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,401 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant recommendation for after Wicked matinee...

$20 will get you an entree in many places but not a full meal. West Bank Cafe will put you much closer to the pier (and further from the theater. They have good food, take reservations (which John's pizzeria doesn't) and you can either get something a la carte like a burger etc. or they have 3 course prix fixe for $30.

menupages.com/restaurants/west-bank-cafe/menu

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,401 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant recommendation for after Wicked matinee...

Actually if you want the pasta dinner at Becco AND you can get a reservation there, that might be ok too. It's crowded and loud though but you do get a salad, pasta and dessert for $20. It's just the pasta is what they pick.

NYC
Level Contributor
15 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant recommendation for after Wicked matinee...

And you can buy a cheesecake at Junior's to take back to the ship. Yummy.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant recommendation for after Wicked matinee...

A tourguide colleague said he got sick from Ellen's food last spring. Just sayin'...

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant recommendation for after Wicked matinee...

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I took a peek at the West Bank Cafe menu, and although the Prix Fixe menu is very limited, the rest of the menu looks fabulous and fits the bill perfect for the four of us (we did up our budget). I made reservations on Open Table for 5:15 which should get us out in time. I made a deal with my 14 year old for cheesecake at Juniors after the cruise. Thanks for the advice nywhiz!

10. Re: Restaurant recommendation for after Wicked matinee...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 18:16