We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK to LGA to Port Authority area

stillwater
Level Contributor
158 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
JFK to LGA to Port Authority area

My sister and I arrive at 11 am on Sept 8 into JFK. What is the best way to get to LGA where our third sister arrives at 1 pm? From LGA we all need to get to our hotel on W 40th near the Port Authority.

I am willing to take public transportation, but maybe with three sharing the taxi fare that makes more sense.

Ideas, opinions, suggestions? Thanks so much!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK to LGA to Port Authority area

I would not try to meet her at LGA. YOU can take Air Train to Jamaica and E train right to 42nd St/8th Avenue.

For your LGA sister, just have her take a taxi (make sure she only uses the official yellow taxi line).

It will make your life MUCH easier.

Bettembourg...
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK to LGA to Port Authority area

Easiest, best, take = meet at the hotel. Sis will have her own experience and probably in the end be glad she had it on her own. A taxi from the airport to one's hotel can make for a very chic/sex in the city experionce! Leg out the door, men rushing for bags (tips), flattery upon flattery. Wait, you should travel solo and send the friend with your sister! Wait, SJP should, no I should, no evening should, no... stop! I love my taxi from LGA, leg out and home.

stillwater
Level Contributor
158 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK to LGA to Port Authority area

Thanks for your advice. Yes, meeting at the hotel was my first inclination, too. But my two sisters really want to meet at LGA and go into the city together. So what is the best way to get from JFK to LGA and then for the three of us to get into the city? Thanks again!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,451 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK to LGA to Port Authority area

I also agree that meeting at LGA will be more trouble than it's worth for all of you but IF you insist, the best option is to take a taxi. There are 3 cos. that run shuttle service between the 2 airports, but for 2 of you at prices of $12-15/person, a taxi will cost about the same and won't be making lots of other stops. Here's a website that lists the 3 cos. that do shuttles.

panynj.gov/airports/lga-airport-connections.…

A taxi will cost $30-35.

nyccabfare.com

will estimate the price if you put in the day of the week and approx. time.

As for getting into Manhattan, again I'd recommend a taxi for 3 of you OR

dial7.com

for a slightly nicer experience. They'll ask you to phone when you're ready to leave and will tell you where to meet the driver.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,825 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK to LGA to Port Authority area

I agree with Whiz - if you're determined to meet at LGA (the airport with the worst public transportation options, unfortunately) then your only reasonable choice is to get a cab from JFK to LGA and then another cab once you've collected your sister to head into Manhattan.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK to LGA to Port Authority area

Do, though, make an effort to persuade your sisters that meeting at the hotel is the best option (indeed, show them this thread.) For the two coming from JFK, there is a perfectly pleasant express airport coach that runs directly from JFK to the Port Authority terminal, or -- if you prefer the train -- you can take the Air Train/E train option given above. Meanwhile, with 3 people travelling by taxi from LGA instead of just 1, you will either have to sit 3 crammed together on a single seat, or have one ride in the front with the driver, separated from the other two by a plexiglass partition. Neither sounds like a comfortable option.

stillwater
Level Contributor
158 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JFK to LGA to Port Authority area

Thank you all very much. I will make another attempt at convincing my sisters to meet at the hotel. After all, who can argue with you experts?!

stillwater
Level Contributor
158 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JFK to LGA to Port Authority area

I will be more successful in "making my case" if I have VERY SPECIFIC instructions for the sister arriving into LGA and needing to take a taxi by herself into Manhattan. She arrives into LGA on Sept 8 at 1 pm on United Airlines. Once she's off the plane, where does she go to get a taxi? She will not have luggage to claim.

Thanks, again! I'm sure I'll have more questions as our trip gets closer. I also have an overnight trip to NYC in October with a group of friends who are going on a New England/Canada cruise. So more questions to follow, I'm sure. I really appreciate the time you take to share your experience and advice.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,451 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JFK to LGA to Port Authority area

There are 3 terminals at LGA and each terminal has it's own taxi stand/line. She just follows the signs in the terminal for baggage claim/ taxis or ground transportation and gets in the official taxi line. Tell her NOT to accept a ride from anyone who approaches her. She should only take a yellow NYC taxi from the line where there's a dispatcher who will give her a receipt. She should keep the receipt which will have the taxi ID number should she leave something behind or have any other reason to track down which taxi she was in. She must have the cross streets of the hotel (ie 44th st. & 8th ave. or whatever it is) not just the name. She could also take the Express Airport bus to Port Authority for $12 if your hotel is right at/near PA. Port Authority will be the second or third stop in Manhattan (Grand Central is first)

http://www.nyairportservice.com/

As for you and your sister, you might also consider taking the bus from JFK for $15/person. That would be $42 for the 3 of you. If you take a taxi from JFK it will be ~ $60 including tip and toll. The taxi from LGA is $30-35. If you follow your original plan, even if you and sis take the shuttle bus from JFK to LGA and then taxi together into Manhattan, that will be ~$75.

stillwater
Level Contributor
158 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JFK to LGA to Port Authority area

Thank you, so very much, nywhiz! That is EXACTLY the information I need.