We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I crazy going in January?

England
Level Contributor
134 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Am I crazy going in January?

Hello,

Loking to go New york early next year. Am I crazy going when its suppose to be so cold?

We are looking at Jan, because of the sales and may see the christmas decorations still, or February as its our anniversary and may see Valentines decorations. both months seem to be the same price.

Will the cold weather ruin it? Would we be stuck inside because its that bad? (Is it really that bad, compared to the UK?)

We want to climb Empire State, see some shows and sports games, go shopping and see Liberty.

Style Room NYC Shopping Tour Experiences
Walking Tours, Private Tours, Shopping Tours
Chelsea Market
Flea & Street Markets
The Strand Bookstore
Gift & Speciality Shops
Tiffany & Co.
Gift & Speciality Shops
Montreal
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Am I crazy going in January?

You bundle up and keep on walking!! It is indeed a month where you will have low hotel prices, sales on clothes and the feeling that you have the city to yourself:)

I always go at the beginning of January and love it..l..of course I am used to cold so I have all the prerequisite clothes.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I crazy going in January?

There are no Valentines decorations, and for Christmas decorations, you would need to come in the first week of January.

Edited: 24 August 2011, 15:10
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I crazy going in January?

catrinka

i am also going Feb 12 1st time i went in Feb it was very cold so cold a fire truck froze putting a fire out in Long Island, i went again this year in march it was very diff quite busy lots of hussle and bussle, i would rather have the cold its strange as cricri said its like you do feel like you have the city if your like me and you just like to take things easy its fine you can see all the sites without the queing i was on the top of the ferry me and my brother had the deck to ourselves people thought we were nuts lol, just wrap up in layers as its easier . my bother has been most of the months but says feb and late fall are the best have fun

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,463 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I crazy going in January?

Jan. is a great time for good hotel rates (although Valentine's day weekend rates may go up) but the other things you list are not really relevant. While there will be sales, the biggest sales here are right after Xmas in Dec. As kateoz says, Xmas decorations come down pretty quickly and Valentine's decorations are not much. No one can predict the weather. Some years it's milder than others. Most weather websites (like wunderground.com) have trip planners that will show historic temps/weather for previous years on certain dates.

rhyl, north wales
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Am I crazy going in January?

Going in febuary next year for the first time,all our previous 5 visits have been in november,expecting it to be cold but tbh who care's?can't wait to get back to ny

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Am I crazy going in January?

You don't have to climb the ESB unless you are entering the race in Feb. There are elevators but TOP of the Rock has a much better view.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
300 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Am I crazy going in January?

We were in NYC for New Year's Eve and stayed for a couple of days in early January. We were able to see the Christmas decorations but at night, it was pretty cold. We were there for a run on New Year's Eve and it wasn't too bad on that night. It really just depends on the weather you get when you're there. We were with native upstate New Yorkers but the temperatures were in the teens for a couple of nights ("felt like 0) so we couldn't really handle being outside to look at the decorations for too long.

If it's freezing, just plan your sightseeing for during the day and try to minimize your time outdoors at night!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,513 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Am I crazy going in January?

It can be moderately cold or very cold. The tall buildings in NYC can create wind tunnels.

Another consideration is that flights are more likely to be disrupted by snow storms.

Ireland
Level Contributor
455 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Am I crazy going in January?

Can't answer with regards to January weather, but for the last two years I have visited mid february. Sure, it's definitely cold but not so cold that it impacted on our holiday. Both times there was very little rain. First year we had a snow storm on our last day but other than that it was just like cold icy weather at home :) I never had to queue anywhere and had no problem getting broadway tickets. February is a great time to go if you want to avoid the massive crowds.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
74 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Am I crazy going in January?

January is an amazing time to be in NYC. We were there the first week in January 2 years ago and shall be there for New Year and the First week in January this/next year. Yeah its bloody cold but it adds to the atmosphere which is pretty magical at that time of year. Just wrap up and brave the elements.

G