We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York in October

Kent
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
New York in October

We are visiting New York at the begining of October, for the first time. Does anyone know if there are any special events happening then? Also we are thinking of going on a helicopter ride? Would you recommend this? And if so who would you book with? Thanks guys.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York in October

The New York Film Festival will be taking place during your visit:

http://www.filmlinc.com/nyff2011

Kent
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York in October

Oh thats great, thanks for letting me know.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York in October

The Columbus Day Parade is on October 10th. But, when I think of early October I think of beautiful days and crisp nights, leaves changing colors, and the Yankees in the Playoffs.

Sausalito...
Level Contributor
164 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York in October

For helicopter tours:

http://tinyurl.com/43oww7d

They are relatively short; it's recommended that you wait until the latter part of your stay, so you can appreciate the views/perspective - unless you are already familiar with the geography.

My wife and I have been to NYC the past four Columbus Day weekends. The weather has been great, and you don't need many "events" in NYC to keep you stimulated and satisfied.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
250 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York in October

For the first time ever, I will be in New York on Columbus Day. Where does the Parade start and finish, and what are the timings? And any suggestions for good vantage points?

Sausalito...
Level Contributor
164 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York in October

The parade begins at 11:30 a.m. and lasts until about 3 p.m. It begins on Fifth Avenue at 47th Street, and continues north along Fifth Avenue to 79th Street.

The sidewalks usually get pretty packed on Fifth Avenue between 47th and Central Park, but it's not too difficult to find an acceptable view.

Kent
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York in October

Yes I realise that there is going to be lots to see and do during our stay, but if there was anything special going on, it would be nice to know about it. Thanks for the advice on the helicopter trip. I have heard that it is quite short. We would probably go a couple of days into our trip. Its a shame we are going to miss the Columbus Day Parade, it sounds great. I had heard the weather is fairly good during October. So Im thinking light clothing and comfy shoes for all the walking!!! Thanks for your replies...... I appreciate the help and advice.

Edited: 05 September 2011, 13:57
durham, england
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: New York in October

We arrive Columbus Day, but dont get into JFK until 12:40 , so don't think we will make it to the Parade, I'm gutted !

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
166 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York in October

jotoffee,

Check out nycgo.com

It's a great website that caters to tourists and locals alike. I just looked at it quickly and saw that there is a special Off-Broadway 2 for 1 ticket promotion that lasts until October 9th. They also have an events calendar where you can type in a date range and get a look at special events that are going on within that time frame.

shropshire
Level Contributor
379 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New York in October

jotoffee

Last time I was in NY in October it was really cold so take a warm jacket in case!