We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
stranded in nyc - cheap eat suggestions appreciated

Myself and my boyfriend were due to fly home yesterday. Obviously flights were cancelled and despite being unable to get hold of anyone at continental (after 7 hours on hold), it appears we have been put on a flight next Sunday. So with an unexpected extra week in nyc and rapidly running out of money, we are looking for some cheap but tasty restaurants in china town and little Italy to get us out and about in different areas and also some good food. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,152 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stranded in nyc - cheap eat suggestions appreciated

Most of the places in Little Italy are tourist traps---not all but most, IMO.

Take a look at this web site for some ideas for cheap eats:

http://realcheapeats.com/nyc/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stranded in nyc - cheap eat suggestions appreciated

ginger, have you tried using Continental's web site to make a change in your flight?

I think Continental has recently beefed up & reprogrammed their reservations computer system because it was astoundingly easy and quick for me to do an online change Friday -- unlike after the Christmas 2010 blizzard here on the east coast, when you had to spend hours trying to reach a reservations agent by phone.

Back to your question: have you tried any of the local "food trucks"? Some of them wouldn't qualify for the cheap eats tag, but there is more variety at good prices than you may realize. Here's a very recent thread that provides a useful overview:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4690446…

And the Cheap Eats section that was the featured spread in the June 21 issue of TimeOut New York magazine:

…timeout.com/restaurants-bars/1590753/cheap-…

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stranded in nyc - cheap eat suggestions appreciated

Cocklecove - thanks for the info - have tried everything with the flights. It was one last attempt to try online that revealed the flight had been changed - have been unable to do anything else with it. Everyone in the hotel seems to have had same issue with continental.

Will take a look at the cheap eats - thanks both! Hopefully will try and make the most of our extra time :)

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stranded in nyc - cheap eat suggestions appreciated

Try to get food & hotel vouchers from your airline. A week is a long delay. Most of us got a flight within 24 hours of original departure.

There are lots of cheap places to eat in NYC. Food trucks can't be beat. Brooklyn is cheaper than Manhattan. Explore neighborhoods. For example, walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and check out restaurants on Court Street, Boerum Place, & Atlantic Ave. Tons of great small places to eat on side streets like Smith Street.

Hang in there. You can do it.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,907 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stranded in nyc - cheap eat suggestions appreciated

Also, take your recycling can and fill it with ice, or get a fridge from the staff. Go to the store and shop. YOu can have sandwich supplies, drinks and snacks.

Hope you have travel insurance as they will cover your costs, keep the receipts.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stranded in nyc - cheap eat suggestions appreciated

Chekc out Koreatown on 32nd Street between Fifth and Broadway - one of my favorites is Mandoo Bar.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stranded in nyc - cheap eat suggestions appreciated

Chat n Chew by Union Sq was really filling when I went n cheap

Also Mercury Bar was great on Thanksgiving last year every time I'm in NY I go to both

8. Re: stranded in nyc - cheap eat suggestions appreciated

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 03:15