We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

damage from Irene

Hinton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
damage from Irene

Wife and I are traveling to NY Sept.9. how is manhatten now after the storm went through?

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: damage from Irene

By the time you get there, you won't be able to tell that there had been a storm.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
49 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: damage from Irene

I live in the city and if I hadn't been here this weekend, I probably wouldn't even know there was a storm. Everything has been back to normal since Monday morning - you won't even be able to tell anything happened. Enjoy your trip!

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: damage from Irene

Hola.

At this hour, while much of NYC’s services are working well there are still some delays and suspensions. Further, ConEd (our utility company) is currently reporting >10,000 customers in the 5 NYC Burroughs without electrical power. For further information see:

MTA (tra685sportation): http://www.mta.info/

Con Ed (electrical):

…coned.com/weboutageinfo/…default.aspx

That said, we are hoping that most of these difficulties will be resolved in the next few days.

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: damage from Irene

The biggest impacts are the piles of extra rain-soaked plywood in the trash, and the popularity of The Hurricane cocktail!

Ingredients

12 ounces light rum

12 ounces dark rum

10 ounces grenadine, or passion fruit syrup

10 ounces fresh orange juice

10 ounces sour mix, or fresh lime juice

3 tablespoons superfine sugar, or more to taste

1 large orange, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices

Directions:Mix all the ingredients in a tall pitcher or large pot and stir to dissolve the sugar. Pour into a punch bowl and add the ice cubes and orange segments. Serve in tall glasses over ice with straws.

Edited: 30 August 2011, 18:20
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: damage from Irene

QB, I assume you saw this?

…buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web03/2011/8/2…

Hinton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: damage from Irene

Thanks for the info, we are looking forward to seeing your city

7. Re: damage from Irene

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 22:18