We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak Baggage Policy

Brighton
Level Contributor
132 posts
296 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak Baggage Policy

Trying to figure out (without help of an Amtrak agent) whether you can carry on board a medium size backpack or an airplane size roll aboard. All the trains between Boston and NYC specify no checked baggage, and small size restrictions for carry aboard. Do they really restrict travelers as much as it says? Can you carry your stuff aboard and manage it as is done all over Europe?

Some clarity would be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
New York
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,170 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,058 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,418 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,170 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak Baggage Policy

Yes, you can absolutely take both on board. 28" x 22" x 14" isn't what I'd call a "small sized" bag. Remember, those are inches, not centimeters.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,682 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak Baggage Policy

Their policy seems pretty clear:

www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak Baggage Policy

Yes, the overhead areas are quite large and there are areas at the end of each train car for oversized bags. I have seen people carry multiple huge bags on Amtrak and have never seen it be an issue, it's not like airlines.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak Baggage Policy

I'm perplexed as to where you saw "small size restrictions" on luggage brought on board Amtrak. The stated size restrictions for carry-one are more generous than, e.g., Continental's policy regarding checked baggage, let alone carry-on. Compare this

www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

with

continental.com/CMS/…BaggageCarry-On.aspx

and

continental.com/CMS/…

In any event, if you can carry it to the train, you'll be fine.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
326 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak Baggage Policy

They are not strikt at all about there baggage policy. You can cary as many bags on and they dont care. If you bag wont fit above then there is plenty of space at the ends of each car.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,336 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrak Baggage Policy

No one watches to see how much baggage you have. There is a huge line of people when they call the train. One person stands at the top of the escalator leading to the track and looks at your ticket to be sure you have a reserved seat for the train - that's about it.

The Acelas have huge overhead closed compartments. The Amtrak trains have overhead racks and the racks on each end of the train.

People with a lot of luggage use Redcaps; baggage handlers who bring them down to the track on a rolling rack. You completely bypass the ticket inspector this way because the Redcaps know the track before it's announced. It doesnt sound like you need this, but it illustrates how much luggage some travelers have!

suitcaseready.com

Brighton
Level Contributor
132 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amtrak Baggage Policy

Thanks all! It seems that written policies aren't necessarily the "rules of the road". We were concerned about the specific dimensions, and now we are not concerned. It seemed weird to restrict train travelers!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,170 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Amtrak Baggage Policy

But again, the written rules aren't what you seem to think they are. I posted the size limits for bags - they're ENORMOUS. I'm not sure how you could be concerned about bringing a backpack on when you're allowed, under the written policy, to bring two HUGE bags on board. Are you sure you're reading the right thing?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
915 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amtrak Baggage Policy

I think the confusion stems from the fact that Amtrak offers a checked baggage service on some trains? When I was researching travelling on Amtrak I did think at first, having seen references to the checked baggage service, that you needed to check in suitcases and if there was no such service what did you do?!

10. Re: Amtrak Baggage Policy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 22:21