We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

By rail to Washington?

Chesterfield...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
By rail to Washington?

I'm visiting New York in November with my daughter and am looking to visit Washington for the day by rail. The train fares seem very expensive. Are there any deals to be had anywhere or does anyone have any advice please. I saw somewhere that it's much cheaper on Sundays but can't find discounted tickets.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: By rail to Washington?

If you book more than two weeks in advance you will get the best price generally. Sometimes there are other specials.

I think it is too far for a day trip.

Philadelphia is closer if you think you would be interested in that

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,890 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: By rail to Washington?

There are discounts if you buy tickets at least 2 weeks in advance, but train to Washington is still ~$98/person roundtrip. It's really more than a daytrip. While some people do a daytrip for business, for sightseeing, you won't see that much in a day. Staying at least overnight is better. There are buses that go for much less money but then you're subject to traffic delays.

www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: By rail to Washington?

Washington is a long distance from NYC. over 2300 miles. You'd need to fly, take a few hours via flight. Unless you mean Washington DC which is about 200 miles, 4 hours by coach, couple by train. If its Washington though then you need to fly!

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
791 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: By rail to Washington?

I agree you would want to stay overnight. Also look into Southwest Air into Baltimore. You can sometimes get deals that are cheaper than the train, but be sure to factor in the cost of getting to the airport.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: By rail to Washington?

We did a day trip to Washington DC and it was fantastic!! One of the highlights of our stay in New York. We did it on an organized coach tour. It cost about $150, so not that much more than the train fare and everything was included. We left at about 6 or 7 in the morning and it took about 4 hrs to get there. We went to the Smithsonian, Madame Tussauds, White House, Capitol hill, Lincoln Memorial. We didn't get back until about 9pm but we slept o the coach and it was a really relaxing day. We booked it through Viator, I am sure it is still advertised there so I highly recommend checking it out.

New York City
Level Contributor
60 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: By rail to Washington?

Amtrak is notorious for running late, so you can't really depend on the schedule, and it's still going to be 3 or 4 hours. Flying is also time consuming by the time you get to the airport, through security and then travel from the airport to DC. Better to take Bolt Bus. It's a fraction of the price and about 4 hours. Seats are comfortable, there's a bathroom and sometimes wi-fi. It leaves you at Union Station, same as Amtrak.

NYC area
Level Contributor
426 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: By rail to Washington?

I agree with Julie. I think Bolt Bus would be best. The earlier you buy your tickets, the cheaper they are, but they are never very expensive. Also, in case you are concerned about stories you have heard about the buses here, Bolt Bus appears to be one of the good ones. Of course, no one can predict traffic. The train is much faster, but also much more expensive.

8. Re: By rail to Washington?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 21:16