We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC sightseeing

Phoenix, Arizona
1 post
Save Topic
NYC sightseeing

visiting NYC at the end of this month. I would like to see Statue of liberty/empire state building and top of the rock in one day..any suggestions on where I should go first & how long each might take. Planning on subwaying to each

Mentioned in this post
Statue of Liberty
Statue of Liberty
35,807 Reviews
New York City, NY
Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,338 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC sightseeing

Sounds like you are going to spend the day avoiding seeing sights in NYC. You will go to the top of two tall buildings and take a boat ride. There are plenty of threads about each of your sites for you to read on this forum. You can look at subway maps at mta.info .

No one can really help you with your request because you have neglected to say where you are starting from and what you are doing at the end of your day.

Enjoy your trip.

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,526 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC sightseeing

To "see" the Statue of Liberty, you can take any cruise including the free Staten Island ferry where you'd see it at a distance. I agree with ztaks that for best advice, you need to tell us where you're starting and where you want to end. I also agree that going to both the ESB and TOTR in the same day is a bit much, I'd do one or the other. Most people prefer TOTR and you get a view of the ESB from it. .;) If you HAVE to go to ESB, buy tickets in advance online. Avoid the skyride and just go to the 86th floor.

Mentioned in this post
Statue of Liberty
Statue of Liberty
35,807 Reviews
New York City, NY
Staten Island Ferry
Staten Island Ferry
18,641 Reviews
New York City, NY
London, United...
Level Contributor
777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC sightseeing

We visited the statue of liberty by getting the first boat of the day, this saved loads of wasted time spent queuing. Likewise we visited the empire state building first thing in the morning, and top of the rock just before sunset the same day.

London, United...
Level Contributor
777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC sightseeing

Just want to add, as for some reason my post wouldn't allow editing. Doing esb and totr in that way gave us great views of the esb and lower manhattan as the sun set and the lights came on. In no way was it 'too much' at all to do them both in one day.

Edited: 11 September 2011, 16:20
Virginia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC sightseeing

It can be done, and no one has to know where this person is starting from or their motives in wanting to see those three sights to suggest an answer.

I too recommend the statue of liberty first in the morning. The staten island ferry doesn't get you close to the statue. I wouldn't suggest this as a way to see the statue at all. Once you decide if you want to ride over or not... or just look from battery park which I've seen people do.. From there you can take the subway to the empire state buildiing and then to top of the rock and space those sights out.

At new years time, I had to wait 30 minutes for the next available time at top of the rock... even though most report that there is little to no wait usually to get to the top.

The empire state building had a 2 hour wait to get through security, and even if you have purchased your tickets online in advance you'll still have to wait with everyone else to get through security. There may be better times of the day to avoid long lines at the ESB which others can advise you of.

Good luck and have fun on your trip.

Edited: 11 September 2011, 18:33
6. Re: NYC sightseeing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 03:16