We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cab fare from LGA

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,121 posts
Save Topic
cab fare from LGA

i was reading in the FAQ's that LGA was only local airport where cab's are still metered for the run into town whereas the other airports have a fixed rate. so can any of you experts guesstimate what the cab fare might be from LGA to 304 East 42nd Street (hilton)?

also, do taxi's take credit cards?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cab fare from LGA

Hey steveftw:) The other major airport in NYC is JFK and indeed offers flat rate for cabs..although EWR is in NJ and considered an area airport, it's still NJ thus has Jersey cabs so you won't find NYC yellow cabs there! Cabs from LGA are metered..and all NYC yellow cabs do take CCs! As far as cost to hotel, since it's traffic dependent, can vary..but you can always use a car service such as Carmel or Dial7 who do offer a flat rate for the ride;) Have fun..and EnjoY!

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cab fare from LGA

The fare, including tolls and tip should be in the $35-40 range. Credit cards are accepted in all NYC taxis.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,466 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cab fare from LGA

nyccabfare.com

will estimate cost. It really depends on day of week/time of day because traffic will affect the meter price. If you're arriving during rush hour, many people opt to order a car service like

dial7.com

to get a fixed price. They charge about what a taxi would. You phone them when you're ready to be picked up and they tell you where to meet the driver.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cab fare from LGA

Steve - I've done that route in a cab a number of times.

I tell the driver to take the Grand Central to the last exit in Queens (31st Street / Astoria Blvd.). Take Crescent Street down to the 59th Street / Queensboro Bridge (no toll) and take 2nd Avenue down to 42nd Street.

This is really easier than taking the tunnel and coming up Third Avenue - trust me, this route is much better even though the driver will not like the fact that the meter will run a little lower for what will take roughly the same amount of time).

I've typically paid about $26. - $27. with the tip. It often comes out around $22. - $23. before the tip (and there is no toll).

All NYC cabs have to take credit cards but I always tell them before I get in - I tell them I don't have any cash so I want to be sure your machine is working. I've never had an issue.

I don't agree with the advice to consider a car service - it is always more expensive for this particular address (better if you're going from LaGuardia to the Financial District or Upper West Side but not for Midtown East) and the prearranged sedans are a hassle finding the driver and getting going. Cabs are queued up and off you go - no fuss.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cab fare from LGA

MoreFFmiles' estimate is consistent with my experience. I live in the East 30s so I usually take the Midtown tunnel and it comes to $29-30 with a good tip. Expect it to be a bit more if you are arriving during rush hour due to traffic. By the way, if you are flying in for the first time, beware of the folks who try to solicit passengers in the terminals. It is illegal and they will likely take you for a ride you will regret.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,121 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: cab fare from LGA

thanks all for the awesome advice..my first trip to NYC..and its for business but im taking a vacation day. so since it is a short visit im going to do the dorky tourist bus thing...

7. Re: cab fare from LGA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 18:15