We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

canal street

mayo
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
canal street

hi going to ny in december . i went 2 yrs ago but didnt go to canal street .someone told me its good for shopping for handbags jewellery perfumes etc but i thought it was all fakes sold there ?also is it safe thanks

Chelsea Market
Flea & Street Markets
Grand Central Market
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Flea & Street Markets
Saks Fifth Avenue
Department Stores,
Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: canal street

It's known to be a bastian of illegal knockoffs - handbags, watches, shoes, cameras, etc. -- all illegal and poorly made. Most NYers steer clear of these swindlers.

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: canal street

It's an experience for sure. We always go there when we go to NY but I noticed that they are really aggressively trying to sell their handbags. Just don't bother with those and just tell them no. There are t-shirts, jewelry, and a whole host of other NYC souvenirs there as well. It's an interesting place. The markets with dead chickens hanging in the windows in the sun. The smelly fish market. The dirty jam packed streets. It's all good as far as I am concerned. My teens love it. You can haggle on the prices too. Just make them an offer and if they say no just walk away. Chances are they'll take your price or something close to it. I never feel unsafe anywhere in NYC, Canal Street included. Steer clear of the DVD's as well.

Milford, Connecticut
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: canal street

It's "good for handbags" if you want to support organized crime, terrorism, and child labor. As someone who purchases authentic designer bags, I can spot a fake from a mile away, as can many others - the bags you would purchase there will not pass for authentic and are cheaply, poorly, and sadly made. Additionally, some of the fake perfumes contain dangerous ingredients that can be hazardous to your health. Please look elsewhere.

4. Re: canal street

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 09:20