We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is my Itinerary realitic?

Onaping, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Is my Itinerary realitic?

Family of 5 3 kids aged 5(boy),3(boy) and 1(girl)

Itinerary

Day 1:

arrive at 1 pm

walking tour?

Supper?? (Italian?)

Rockefeller Center-skating

Day 2:

TImes Square (Toys R Us & Macy's)

Lunch?

Staten Island Ferry

Supper???

Big Apple Circus

Day 3:

Central Park

Lunch?

Museum of natural History

Supper?

Rockettes- Santa Clause show Radio City Music Spectacular

Day 4:

Unsure

leave for home by 4pm.

Is my Itinerary realistic? Are certain things maybe closer to do in the same day compared to how i have it?

Hotel (possibly ace hotel) Is this in a good location for things we want to do? Also i see that its $29 per person for the subway per week is this for all ages?

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,893 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is my Itinerary realitic?

Your kids are probably shorter than 44 inches -- no problem -- what kind of a walking tour are you dragging them on?

Rockettes for a 5, 3, and 1 year old in the evening -- a little weird. The rest is fine I guess.

When are you actually coming? I'd take the kids to the Children's library of the Mail library at 42nd and 5th. Which of the many ice skating places are you planning to go skating at.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is my Itinerary realitic?

I would not take a 1 year old to any show that was not sold exclusively as an entertainment for young children - and that includes the Christmas show at the Music Hall..

Note that Macy's is not in Times Square, but is a half mile south at 34th Street. I would start the day with the ferry, to avoid any backtracking.

Onaping, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is my Itinerary realitic?

what does it mean if they are shorter than 44 inches? I am not sure what walking tour yet i will have to look more into them. My kids love to go for walks so i thought it would be a nice way to get rid of some energy and learn a bit also. The Rockettes is a must, is there better times during the day? ( the kids normally sit very well but if one does not we can always take them out) We are planning on going in November around the 15th. What is at the children's library, besides books? Is Rockefeller Center not a place to skate? Is Macy's close to anything else on my list or should we just skip it?

Onaping, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is my Itinerary realitic?

some other thought are:

go to little Italy

Bank Vault tour

FAO Schwartz

walk the Brooklyn bridge

knicks game

Sony Wonder Technology Lab

would some of these be better than some of our previous thoughts?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,588 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is my Itinerary realitic?

If your child(ren) are under 44 inches, they will ride subway for free.

Rock center is fine for skating as Bryant Park and Wollman Rink in Central Park.

Don't know if one year olds can go to Rockettes. It may be that it is mostly just the Broadway Theaters that have age restriction for kids. You may want to confirm.

Edited: 23 September 2011, 00:06
Onaping, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is my Itinerary realitic?

Thank-you, Is one skating rink better than the next? I will definitely check into the age limit for the Rockettes as its the whole reason why we chose to go in November.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,893 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is my Itinerary realitic?

The original Winnie ther Pooh and friends dolls are there.

Taking kids out of an auditorium that seats 6000 can be a bit of a challenge.

Milford, Connecticut
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is my Itinerary realitic?

There is no Little Italy (worth seeing) anymore.

Just because a baby is allowed into a theater does not mean that you should bring a baby to a theater.

Edited: 23 September 2011, 00:22
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is my Itinerary realitic?

I have taken my kids to the theatre and shows since they were very young and they have always loved it. I am sure you know your children and how they will behave in such an experience. I just suggest that when you select your seats for the Rockettes you pick seats next to an aisle and near an exit that way if you do need to pop out it will be quick and easy. The show is only 90mins so not too long for kids I would think. I noticed there are shows many times during the day 11am 2pm 5pm and 8pm - it varies a bit on different days. We have picked the 5pm time for our kids as I think they would all fall asleep at the 8pm one, lol. Check out travelzoo as they have a promotion for cheaper tickets.

travelzoo.com/entertainment/…

Milford, Connecticut
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is my Itinerary realitic?

It is impossible to know how a one year old will behave as their personalities can change from week to week as they go through different phases. A five year old for Radio City at Christmas, no problem, but a baby and toddler...