We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proposed Itinerary - feedback please!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Proposed Itinerary - feedback please!

Hi

My wife and I arrive on Wednesday 12 October at 11:40AM (flying in from Toronto) - I've done NYC a few times but my wife hasn't, so hoping to do the major sights if possible (with a definite shopping and food/drink slant!). How does this look?

Wednesday:

Arrive 11:40AM - being picked up by relatives and will drop bags off

2PM Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island

4PM 9/11 Memorial (booked, will cut out Ellis Island if short on time)

6PM Century 21

Evening - family/friends to sort out dinner/drinks location

Thursday:

9AM Rockefeller/TOTR

11AM 5th avenue/Saks

2PM Lunch TBC

3:30PM MOMA

5:30PM Dinner @ Daniel

7:30PM Bill Cosby fundraiser show @ Town Hall

Friday:

9AM New York Public Library

11AM Grand Central

12PM Empire State

2PM Lunch

3PM Macys

5PM Times Square

Evening - Dinner/Drinks with family/friends

Saturday:

11AM The Met

1PM Central Park for lunch/wander around

3PM Guggenheim

Other things on the possible list were Battery Park, Woodbury Common, Wall Street, Greenwich Village, Brooklyn Bridge, but hoping for feedback/constructive criticism/etc!

Thanks in advance!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,458 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Proposed Itinerary - feedback please!

You need to rethink that 2pm Statue of Liberty time. You have to go through passport control, pick up your luggage and drop off your bags and be there before 2pm, all in two hours. A miracle will need to occur for that to happen.

As you really will not see much of anything in you 1.5 hours allotted for the statue (time to get there, back to the dock then up to the memorial site), you should consider taking the free Staten Island ferry at some point to glimpse the SOL.

How did you figure out the times? These places are not right next to each other and I have hit traffic coming into Manhattan from JFK at that hour that has taken more than 1 to 1.5 hours. I am surprised your relatives did not offer advice on this plan that was realistic.

NJ
Level Contributor
711 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proposed Itinerary - feedback please!

You have way too much crammed in there. You won't enjoy any of it, IMHO.

Take at least 1 thing out of every day.

The day you arrive drop either Ellis Island or the 9/11 Memorial. I'd drop the Memorial b/c it's too depressing but that's just me. Last time at Ellis Island were were there for 6 hours & didn't see everything.

Thursday:

Skip a sit down lunch; grab something on the go & get to MOMA by 2. You will still only see a small portion.

You don't have enough time for a lesiurely dinner. Try to move your reservation to 5. Two hours will be rushed. Tell them in adavnce that you have major time constraints. There's no way I'd book Daniel & have to choke down my expensive meal without time to taste & savor. What a waste of money but it's your only option if you are going to make the Cosby show. I suppose this close in you can't switch the reservation to a late dinner after the show.

Your Friday schedule is actually OK but I'd swicth your morning activities to Saturday & do the Met friday as soon as it opens. A mere 2 hours for that museum is a sin. Don't give it short shrift.

On Saturday you can do your Friday events but drop 1/2 hour off each. The library & Grand Central can be done in about 1/2 each. The rest of the day sounds OK.

You don't have time to travel to the malls you mentioned.

If you really want to go to the Village, skip the Guggenheim, & head downtown for a whole afternoon. You can & should also go to China Town, Little Italy, battery park & walk past where the twin towers used to be (you can say you went but not take the tour b/c you will have gone to Ellis Island instead).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Proposed Itinerary - feedback please!

Thanks for the quick response!

We were actually intending on dropping our bags in the car that collects us and our luggage but then getting dropped directly at the nearest railway line from JFK that will get us to Battery Park - hence the (possibly optimistic) 2PM arrival time. But having since looked at ferry times/etc, I've rebooked our 9/11 Memorial reservation to 5PM.

To be honest, I haven't asked for feedback from family yet - I just looked at a map from a previous trip and tried to group things together geographically (without knowing about the actual connections between!).

Wednesday - I thought the Battery Park terminal was reasonably close to the 9/11 memorial, which is in turn reasonably close to Century 21?

Thursday - From my map, Rockefeller/5th Ave/Saks/MOMA look reasonably close(ish)?

Friday - Library and Grand Central might be the odd ones out - should these be left out? Empire State/Macys/Times Square seem in the same general area?

Saturday - The Met/Central Park/Guggenheim seem close to each other (though may replace Guggenheim with the Museum of Natural History?

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Proposed Itinerary - feedback please!

Hi again,

OK so taking into account both sets of feedback, revised thoughts below:

Wednesday:

Arrive 11:40AM - being picked up by relatives and drop bags off in car

Get to nearest subway station and get to Battery Park

2PM Statue of Liberty

5PM 9/11 Memorial (potential depression noted but keen to see this)

7PM Century 21

Thursday:

9AM Rockefeller/TOTR

11AM 5th avenue/Saks (grab lunch en route)

2PM MOMA

5:30PM Dinner @ Daniel (we have booked a pre-theatre meal so only 3 courses)

Friday:

9AM The MET

1PM Empire State (grab lunch en route)

3PM Macys

5PM Times Square

Saturday:

10AM New York Public Library

11:30AM Grand Central

1PM Central Park for lunch/wander around

3PM American Museum of Natural History

How does it look now? Thanks again in anticipation!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Proposed Itinerary - feedback please!

Oh and PS - I was hoping to do an evening in Chinatown and Little Italy over dinner before moving elsewhere for drinks, or are they more of a daytime destination?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
48 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proposed Itinerary - feedback please!

The schedule on the first day as mentioned is tight. So is the last day. Two hours for both the Met and Central Park and then the Guggenheim is definitely rushing through the first two with a lot of walking. I would suggest giving the Met and Central Park six leisurely hours (instead of four) and possibly moving back the Guggenheim since they have late hours on Saturday, then moving the dinner time later. (i.e. Met and Central Park 11-5; Guggenheim 6:30 -8; then dinner). Time will fly by when you're in the Met. This way there is more time to relax and eat while also seeing a lot of what the museum and park have to offer. Hour and a half for the Guggenheim should be plenty.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
48 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Proposed Itinerary - feedback please!

The sites on the revised schedule aren't in as close proximity to each other as the first. Particularly Friday and Saturday.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Proposed Itinerary - feedback please!

Thanks for the quick feedback from everyone!

Acknowledging the possible tightness on Wednesday, I think the main issue is the structuring of Friday/Saturday. Obviously we need to start earlier on Saturday (and we can, I was just trying to get away with being lazy!). So if I revert back to the previous proposal for Friday/Saturday but start Saturday earlier and fit in both the Guggenheim and the Museum of Natural History, I'd have:

Wednesday

Arrive 11:40AM - picked up, drop bags in car, get to nearest subway station to Battery Park

2PM Statue of Liberty

5PM 9/11 Memorial

7PM Century 21 (open till 9)

Thursday:

9AM Rockefeller/TOTR

11AM 5th avenue/Saks (grab lunch en route)

2PM MOMA

5:30PM Dinner @ Daniel (we have booked a pre-theatre meal so only 3 courses)

Friday:

9AM New York Public Library

10:30AM Grand Central

1PM Empire State (grab lunch en route)

3PM Macys

5PM Times Square

Saturday:

10AM The MET

12:30PM Central Park for lunch/wander around

3PM American Museum of Natural History (open till 5:45PM)

6PM Guggenheim

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,458 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Proposed Itinerary - feedback please!

3 huge museums in one day. I personally cannot take in that much art in one day. The Met alone is enormous. I am guessing you do not know how huge these are. Rethink those 3 in one day. Your eyes and brain will be on fire with all that in such a short time. And you are crisscrossing the park. Again, I think it is that you don't know the sheer size of the park either.

I see you still think you will make a 2pm Statue ferry. Are you not checking luggage and only taking a carry on? Why do you think you will make that time? Yes there is an remote chance you might but if you don't, are your tickets refundable?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Proposed Itinerary - feedback please!

Hi

To be honest, I was going to drop the guggenheim altogether because it seemed like too much and we prefer exhibit museums to art museums. I only kept it in because of the late saturday opening but I think you are right - best to cut it out.

We have checkin but was hoping this would take 1 hour to clear customs and get bags? Family will take our bags but we won't go with the bags - they will drop us at the nearest station so we can go straight to battery island - which station near jfk is best and how long will it take?

Thanks!