We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

statue of liberty, ellis island advice please

scotland
Level Contributor
202 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
statue of liberty, ellis island advice please

Hi

I am trying to decide on an itinerary for a forthcoming family trip to NY. There are 3 children - 11, 13 and 14. I would like to see the SOL but not necessarily get off and go up it. I would also like to see or visit Ellis Island. I would appreciate advice on the best way to do this, time required and best time of day. What other logical places could we visit on same day?

Many thanks

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: statue of liberty, ellis island advice please

http://www.statuecruises.com/

You will need to prebook timed tickets which will let you bypass a big Wait for the ferry.

The National September 11 Memorial and museum is close to where you will take the Ferry from. But that is best for another day. You could include Wall Street..South Seaport for the evening.

Slingerlands, New...
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
372 posts
517 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: statue of liberty, ellis island advice please

There is one ferry which goes to both. With kids that age, I'd recommend the statue for a longer time. The boat is quick, the wait can be very long. Liberty Island is really nice, go up in the statue, take pictures of the family. You are not far from Chinatown, great people watching, shopping and dinner.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,026 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: statue of liberty, ellis island advice please

agree with other posts, esp get the earliest timed tickets--the way it works the timed tickets get on first, then they pull from the huge crowd thats there with open tickets to fill the boat. When you get there get close to the stern of the boat and youll see an entrance line thats roped off--thats for timed tickets--if you get there early and do both the SOL and Ellis island,which would be alot of walking/standing ( Me id just do Ellis,esp if you have realtives that came thru there), and itll take probably 5 hours to do both.So youd get back to Battery Park by say 2:30. Youd have time to walk over to the 911memorial,which takes about 1 1/2 hours Im told (imgoing there on 10/11 so we'll see)--Id be ready to lie down after SOL, but youre younger than me im sure, buts its possible.If you think youll do that,then get your free tickets now from 911memorial.org.If you dont have time, then id visit St Pauls church, which housed many NYPD and NYFD folks, and has all kindsof memorablia--its quite an emotional place as well. good luck

scotland
Level Contributor
202 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: statue of liberty, ellis island advice please

Many thanks. I will check the website out. If we did not have time can anyone tell me if there is a ferry that you can go on and view the SOL .

Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: statue of liberty, ellis island advice please

Hey bcmel:) If you're just looking for a 'sail by', The Staten Island Ferry may just fit the bill:) Have fun..and Enjoy!

6. Re: statue of liberty, ellis island advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 October 2011, 19:05
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,177 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: statue of liberty, ellis island advice please

Please ignore the troll mentioning rentals and sugesting that staying on Staten Island is a good idea.

My kids were 10 & 12 on our first visit. We were unable to get timed tickets on the ferry so we got "flex" tickets and showed up about 9am on the day we went & that day the non_reserved wait was no longer than the reserved. Be sure to buy your tickets ahead of time to aviod the ticket line.

We did exactly as you proposed ... we saw the statue like our ancesters did ... from the boat. We did not get off. We continued to Ellis Island and toured that. My family was content with that. The whole event from the timw we got in security line until we returned to Batterey park was about 4.5 hours. we could have done it in less time but chose to linger in the garden, do rubbings of ancesters` names we put on the wall years ago but had never seen and have lunch cuz it was a gorgeous spring day.

scotland
Level Contributor
202 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: statue of liberty, ellis island advice please

I have looked at the Staten Island Ferry. Forgotmypword- I am unsure as to how to book this on the website. Was it the Staten Island ferry that you reserved tickets for?

Thanks

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,177 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: statue of liberty, ellis island advice please

No ... the Staten Island ferry is free at all times. An only makes two stops ... the ferry terminal near Battery Park and the ferry terminal on Staten Island. It doesn't stop at Liberty Island or Ellis Island. It goes BY the SOL and Ellis Island, so you can get a look ...but not all that close. You'll see them in the distance.

You need the StatueCruises link already posted earlier. You go through airport-style security in Battery Park and board the boat. It goes to Liberty Island ... you'll have great views of the statue as you approach it and then it docks. People get off and people get on ... but we chose to just stay on. Then it goes to Ellis Island and that's where we got off .... then when we were done there, we got back on the ferry and it went to Battery Park.

The boat(s) run continuously ... the bottleneck is security. But on the day I went, we did not have timed tickets and so we were not allowed in the "reserved line". On THAT particular day ... a Friday in April, we arrived at Battery Park around 9 (9:10? maybe) and we got into the non-reserved line at the same time a group of school kids in matching uniforms got into the reserved line. We were all on the same ferry as the school kids. It wasn't extremely crowded that day and if you can get reserved tickets, I think it's the way to go ... especially if you will be there at a very busy time of year ....

For American School kids who have learned about Ellis Island in school, I think it's MORE important to see than the Statue of Liberty. For others ... I think it's still interesting to think about these hoards of people who left the only life they knew in hopes of something better and how they all arrived in this one place with people just like them from other places speaking different languages and observing different traditions and so on, yet all united by circumstance, and a common dream.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: statue of liberty, ellis island advice please

The Staten Island Ferry is free and does not require reservations. It takes you from Manhatten to Staten Island and back, and gives you a nice look at the SOL from a distance. Good option if you just want to get a glimpse of the SOL and not deal with ticket reservations, line-ups & security checks. More info here: http://www.siferry.com/Default.aspx

The ferries that go to the SOL (i.e. Liberty Island) and Ellis Island are run by Statue Cruises (see http://www.statuecruises.com/choose_tickets.aspx). The same ferry takes you from Battery Park, stops at the SOL (where people get off and on) and then stops at Ellis Island (where people get off and on) before heading back to Battery Park. Getting a "Reserve" or "Flex" ticket would be enough for you to enjoy the views of the SOL as the ferry approaches Liberty Island, and then stay on the ferry as it continues to Ellis Island, where you can get off and explore the grounds/museum. The same ticket would then allow you to get on the ferry heading back to Manhattan.

I would suggest choosing a reservation time earlier in the day when there will likely be less crowds at Ellis Island, as most people will be visiting the statue first. This also allows you to spend the majority of your afternoon & the rest of your day exploring Lower Manhattan.

Hope this helps - good luck with your planning!

Edited: 01 October 2011, 19:46