We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving late to the city that never sleeps!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving late to the city that never sleeps!

We are arriving in NYC at 18:30; after customs, travelling to the hotel, checking in etc it's going to be a little late - I'm thinking of going to the Empire State Building as it's apparently open until 2am as an introduction to the city. Can anyone recommend any other attractions open quite late in the area or maybe some nice places to eat? It's our first trip to NYC and my wife's 27th birthday (I'm 32) so I really want this to be amazing! Thank you in advance!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,402 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving late to the city that never sleeps!

If you plan on going to the ESB, buy tickets in advance online to avoid the ticket buyers line. Where are you staying and when are you coming? I ask because ice skating will be starting soon. There are comedy clubs, jazz clubs and a walk on Fifth ave. can be done all night.

menupages.com

has a features menu that allows you to select restaurants open late or open all night.

Ayza is one place near the ESB that might be nice for a bite or a drink or dessert.

menupages.com/restaurants/…

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,250 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving late to the city that never sleeps!

32nd Street between 5th and 6th Avenues, otherwise known as "Koreatown," is buzzing until late at night with restaurants, karaeoke bars and spas. And it's just ONE BLOCK away from the Empire State Building.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving late to the city that never sleeps!

Thank you guys for your fast and informative replies - I arrive on Tuesday the 25th of October. I've downloaded the menu app from the site you recommended. Speaking of food; what's your thoughts on the Oyster Bar at Grand Central?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,402 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving late to the city that never sleeps!

I love the Oyster bar for lunch for clam chowder soup and maybe some oysters. I love the Oyster bar for drinks in the saloon area with some nibbles. I don't love the oyster bar for a full sit down dinner. The fish is pricey and I find the ambiance a little grim at night.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving late to the city that never sleeps!

Oh great, I've been told that the Oyster Bar is more of a lunch time venue - I'd like to take my wife there because she thinks I'm a geek with my love for history (I'm a teacher, lol she should be over this by now) and she isn't aware that the Oyster Bar is located here. It could be a little amusing to wind her up and then explain my hidden agenda while dining on delicious seafood.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
759 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving late to the city that never sleeps!

I like Oyster Bar very much, but you can check out what other people have said on TripAdvisor:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60763-d48…

By the way, if you happen to be going by Union Square on your late night ventures, I am a fan of the 24-hour french restaurant, L'Express. I find it to have a fun, lively atmosphere with terrific steak tartare and a nice beer selection.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving late to the city that never sleeps!

Oh great, I've been told that the Oyster Bar is more of a lunch time venue - I'd like to take my wife there because she thinks I'm a geek with my love for history (I'm a teacher, lol she should be over this by now) and she isn't aware that the Oyster Bar is located here. It could be a little amusing to wind her up and then explain my hidden agenda while dining on delicious seafood.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving late to the city that never sleeps!

Thank you again for your wealth of knowledge guys, I've got a few ideas of how to spend the rest of my time in NYC - mostly touristy type stuff and reluctantly following my wife through some of the larger stores.

What do you guys think about the NYC city pass? I'm thinking about getting a day pass to hit some of the busier attractions.

Also while I'm here, is it better to go on a river tour around Ellis & Liberty island or actually visit them? I've read that the Statue of Liberty is closed for restoration during October.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
759 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving late to the city that never sleeps!

For your question regarding the pass, take a look at (link to the right of the screen, too, under Top Questions):

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c140362/New-Yo…

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving late to the city that never sleeps!

If you're going to the Oyster Bar, I hope you know about the famous Whispering Gallery...located directly outside the entrance......

The Whispering Gallery, located at the end of both Oyster Bar Ramps when heading down to the Lower Level, is one of the bigger attractions in Grand Central Terminal and offers a phonic treat. Get two volunteers and put them in opposite corners facing the walls. A person can whisper into one of its corners and be distinctly heard diagonally across the gallery on the other side. Fun for all ages!