We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from JFK

Sittingbourne...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
travel from JFK

I am travelling to New York city as a first time visitor soon. We are arriving in to JFK. Is it best to get a cab to the city centre and if so what is the average price for 2 passengers going to 45th 35th West Street?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from JFK

Here is a thread regarding transportation to and from the area airports.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s301/New-York-…

From JFK to Manhattan it is a flat rate of $45 plus tolls and tip

"45th 35th West Street?"

Do you mean 45 West 35th Street?

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from JFK

It depends on the time of day and where you're going as it is actually faster at some times of day to simply take the JFK AirTrain to the Long Island Rail Road.

Say you are going to West 35th Street near 6th Avenue, you're just a little over one block from Penn Station. You can get from Terminal 8 / 9 to Penn Station in about 40 minutes if you hit everything bang on. Not bad for a fraction of the cost of a taxi.

We typically tell people to allow 55 - 60 minutes for the JFK AirTrain / Long Island Rail Road as if it is your first time you may need an extra moment or two to follow the well-marked signs, double check you are on the right train, and use the very user-friendly ticket machines.

Alternatively, a taxi is $45.00 plus toll and tip so yes, figure on $60.00.

Do *not* accept rides from touts. Use only licensed yellow taxi's from the taxi rank where the uniformed dispatcher is positioned.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from JFK

By the way, the "East" or "West" in such things as "East 36th Street" or "West 4th Street" is as much a part of the street name as the "High" in "High Holborn", or the "Great" in ""Great Ormond Street", or the "South" in "South Audley Street".

In the same way you could have a building called 124 Oxford Street, or 124 New Cavenidsh Street, it really should not be so baffling that there can be a West 39th Street, and that building 124 on it is 124 West 39th Street.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from JFK

Give 'em a break - They're first time visitors.

They are staying at the Hotel Metro at 45 West 35th Street.

It is important to note that anytime you get into a taxi, you must have the full address with cross streets. Taxi drivers will have absolutely no idea where The Hotel Metro is.

NYC is very large and there are so many hotels, the driver isn't going to know "Hotel Metro."

You have a very good hotel and you are in a very central location across from Macy's. Very good area and very convenient to all transportation.

You have the entrance to third busiest subway station in the entire NYC system right outside your door.

Edited: 06 October 2011, 01:56
Sittingbourne...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: travel from JFK

Thanks, this is vey useful advice.

Good to know the hotel is great.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,356 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel from JFK

If you want to get there inexpensively, take the JFK Airtrain to Jamaica ($5), then go into the subway ($2.50) and take the Manhattan-bound "E" Train to Roosevelt Avenue, then change for the "F" train (same track and platform) to 34 St., You are then 1 tiny block from your hotel.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel from JFK

Yes - There are so many options.

If people would tell us their dates of travel (eg. day of week / time of day) and their age (under 65 / over 65), it would be even easier to give precise directions.

The change from the E to the F at Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, and Jackson Heights is very easy but as soon as you mention that change of trains, some people get scared so I always try to give the fastest and easiest. The Long Island Rail Road is fast and easy. The JFK AirTrain to the E to the F would not take much longer and it wouldn't add any inconvenience but people envision scary transfers and long waits.

Granted the F train usually follows the E train within a couple minutes on exactly the same track but I just figure that for a first time visitor the largely above ground LIRR is easy and peace of mind.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel from JFK

Enjoyed reading this thread as it kind of answers some questions I had!

Hope you don't mind me adding another one - we're going to Queens from JFK - there are four of us so figured a taxi would be the easiest option with our cases. Please could you tell me - is it easier to prebook one, and if so, any advice on where to try.

I did look at the LIRR/subway and worked out the nearest stop to our hotel, but looked like it would be a 10-15 minute walk when we got off the train so woud prefer a taxi I think!

Thanks in advance :)

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,117 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: travel from JFK

JFK is in Queens, so you'll have to tell us more about where exactly you're going.

England
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: travel from JFK

bOsch...some good advice, but for me, keep things simple and follow the signs for taxi..... ooooh so simple, (now that you know typical price).