We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Penn

ATLANTA, GA
Level Contributor
97 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Penn

I know, I know- lots of bad reviews! Can anyone give me some helpful advice on getting a better room(assuming I get a bad one) in this hotel- some mentioned higher floor rooms facing 7th ave- with a window(view). Only staying three nights- staying here based on price and location. Any helpful advice/ tips from a recent customer/ employee would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,940 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Penn

Do you want help to find a better hotel or a better room?

ATLANTA, GA
Level Contributor
97 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Penn

Already booked- trying to find a "better" room , If that`s possible.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Penn

Booked and paid? If not paid, you can probably cancel.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
166 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Penn

If you do end up staying at this hotel and you are concerned about getting a bad room, it wouldn't hurt to simply call and request a room that you think would be more pleasing. I would call right away and explain to them exactly what you are looking for. If they can't accomodate you, I would keep calling, especially as you approach your arrival date.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Penn

What's worse, the Penn or the Carter?

ATLANTA, GA
Level Contributor
97 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Penn

Not a bad suggestion jackman- wonder If that will help. Another reviewer mentioned to call a week in advance to ask for a room with a window (view).

I guess it couldn`t hurt!

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Penn

The Hotel Carter is regularly rated the worst hotel in the USA. The Hotel Penn is due to be demolished, as I understand it..

Both are hellholes, but I think the Penn has pockets of "OK-ness"..The Carter has no redeeming anything..So, for me, The Carter

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Penn

Everyone has different standards--- by many people's standards the Hotel Pennsyvania is a dump and getting worse by the day since it was announced it is being torn down. BUT perhaps the OP's standards are not as high as some and he will be fine with it. I have always tried the following. Go to the room with the bellman and before unpacking and before he leaves the room with a tip look around and try all the things like the lights, the tv and the shower. Inspect for cleanliness and then decide. I think the last time my wife took the first room we were shown on any trip was 1963. Just be firm but nice--- "Oh no this won't do"

and see what you come up with.

ATLANTA, GA
Level Contributor
97 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Penn

Good advice bilmin- will try that also

Thanks all

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Penn

Poor Hotel Penn..It might be something great if cared for. Whereas demolishing Hotel Carter would be a mercy killing.

The sad thing? I think Hotel Penn is owned by the same people responsible for the skyscraper across the street, One Penn Plaza. How long before they decide to starve that out of existence, too?