We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartments - Help?!

UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Apartments - Help?!

Hi all - can anyone tell me where would be a good apartment to stay in we need two bedroom for ourselves (hubby and wife) and our adult daughter. I guess somewhere central, tho never having visited NY before not really sure where would be good, any advice welcome, thanking you

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,400 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartments - Help?!

Apt rentals for less than 30 days are illegal as the second bullet on the right column here will explain. But there are legal apartment hotels that will offer the space you want. The Eastgate Tower, one of the

affinia.com

hotels is usually the least expensive and largest 2 bedroom.

Radiocityapartments.com

also has some 2 bedrooms with only 1 bathroom (there are 2 bathrooms at Eastgate Tower). The Best Western Hospitality also has some nice 2 bedrooms. Hotel at Times Square is a budget option that has 2 bedrooms side by side but without a door and 1 bathroom--no sitting room. Their website is

applecorehotels.com

Fyi, since 2 bedroom suites are pricey, many families such as yours get a 1 bedroom and use the sofabed in the living room of the suite.

Blakelyhotelny.com

has 1 bedroom suites with a daybed in the living room, more comfortable than the average sofabed.

2. Re: Apartments - Help?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 October 2011, 01:05
3. Re: Apartments - Help?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 October 2011, 22:35
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,823 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartments - Help?!

You called a UK tourist office and asked them about New York City laws? Well done.

If you want the "horse's mouth," why not read the actual law? It's easy to find.

Edited: 10 October 2011, 12:12
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,823 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartments - Help?!

…usatoday.com/destinations/…1

http://www.frommers.com/articles/6912.html

Edited: 10 October 2011, 12:17
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartments - Help?!

Not all apartments are illegal in NYC. It is legal to have a hosted stay - i.e, rent a room in someones house who actually lives there. It is also legit to rent for over a month. But, by and large, short term apartments are illegal, whether by airb&B or anyone else. Their "guarantee" may work for tourists - but it does not make what they do legal, and does not make it right for the locals.

There are several reasons for this. First, we live in close quarters and pay dearly for our privacy. Many of our apartments are in coops, and building rules forbid this sort of behavior. I know mine does, and our board [I am the President] would just not allow this behavior.

More importantly, while I love NYC to be tourist friendly, it is frankly more important to be friendly to our own citizens. This is where we raise our families. The last thing I want in the upstairs apartment is a group of partying Yorkshiremen when I am trying to get some sleep. Plus, this issue is also one of security. I want to know who has access to my building. I do not know who you are.

I realize that it is difficult to get inexpensive lodgings in NYC. But I ask that you understand where we are coming from. Doom, I am not being rude or sarcastic, but giving you the true lay of the land. I do not know whom you spoke to at the Tourist Boards, but you have been misinformed.

Yes, staying in NYC is expensive. On the bright side, one lodgings have been arranged, there are lots of things that you can do on the cheap to make up for it.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartments - Help?!

VERY well said, B Mel

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,250 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Apartments - Help?!

NY Post also had some recent stories:

nypost.com/p/news/local/ublet_hotels_very_ho…

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Apartments - Help?!

You hear that, tourists? Apartment rentals are A-OK. When the fire department shows up to throw you out, just tell them that DoomDoom said it was cool.

New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Apartments - Help?!

None of these articles says that ALL NY vacation rentals are illegal. There are also 1-4 family private houses, and NY Department of State issues for their owners licenses to collect sales and vacation rental taxes. I would appreciate if somebody from the team of experts referred me to the law (not to some article prepaid buy hotel lobbyists), stating that these registered & NY State licensed businesses are illegal. Also I would like to hear at least one true & checkable story about someone who was kicked out by fire department from NY vacation rental apartment listed, for example, at vacation rental section of this particular site. I also would appreciate the same kind of story from the person who was scammed while renting apartment at tripadvisor.com.

Edited: 10 October 2011, 19:58