We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will my family be inconvenienced by Occupy crowd

San Diego...
Level Contributor
11 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Will my family be inconvenienced by Occupy crowd

Planning to visit many of the key attractions in New York. Will the campers at wall street interfere with our enjoyment? Been planning this first ever visit for 6 months. Now worried it's going to be a nightmare. Anyone know what I should expect?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will my family be inconvenienced by Occupy crowd

You're blowing it way out of proportion. Unless you go past Zuccotti Park, you will not notice the demonstration at all. The only exception would be if there was a march planned and you wandered through its route, but that's easy enough to avoid by checking their schedule of activities:

http://occupywallst.org/

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will my family be inconvenienced by Occupy crowd

The only place where I see any disruptions are on Fox News. The same network that glorified the gun totting Tea Party crowd appears apoplectic about Occupy Wall Street.

I work about three blocks away and there has been no disruptions whatsoever. From what I have seen, and I was just there yesterday, the protesters are uniformly respectful and polite. Yesterday, as school was out for Columbus Day, they were also joined by many school children.

Rather than avoiding the demonstration, I would opt to bring your children and explain what is going on. Maybe have them speak to a few of the demonstrators if they are of age to understand.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will my family be inconvenienced by Occupy crowd

I am sort of puzzled by the word "inconvenienced"..How would your family be inconvenienced by demonstrators at Wall St? If you want to avoid, then don't go down there.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will my family be inconvenienced by Occupy crowd

If it worries you, avoid the area. If it still worries you, go somewhere else entirely.

But you're completely blowing things out of proportion, there are only a few hundred full time protesters confined to one small park that's not even on Wall Street.

If anything, it's tourists who are making things more crowded by going there to gawk at them like they are some circus attraction. It's one thing if you are going to protest with them or talk to them, another thing to take their picture like it's a car crash.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,758 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Will my family be inconvenienced by Occupy crowd

I suspect you have no idea how large Manhattan is - as everyone says, just don't go there if you are so concerned.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Will my family be inconvenienced by Occupy crowd

This poster is also concerned that her "family's" vacation will be a nightmare in DC also. HA HA like this rinkydink demonstration is something special in DC

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will my family be inconvenienced by Occupy crowd

I agree with all of the above and would add that, depending upon the age of your kids, I would actually consider actively seeking out the protestors. Regardless of what you may think of their positions, what a great opportunity to see people exercising their first amendment rights. A great family teaching moment, if you ask me.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will my family be inconvenienced by Occupy crowd

If you do go, be sure to get an "OccuPie" from Liberatos. The revolution will not be televised, but it will be delivered in 30 minutes or less:

gawker.com/5841874/how-a-pizza-joint-became-…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will my family be inconvenienced by Occupy crowd

The guy Im seeing works in the building next to the park - it's a huge building. You would never know they were there from the Century 21 side. So, you'd have to go out of your way to be "inconvenienced"

If people were protesting by PetCo Park, would tourists in the Gaslamp notice? Probably not.

suitcaseready.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,758 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Will my family be inconvenienced by Occupy crowd

Love the pizza place - classic NYC tale.