We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Pricing Question and a Question about High Tea's

Gosford, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Restaurant Pricing Question and a Question about High Tea's

Im Coming to NYC next May for 13 Days.

The One Issue Im having is that I will be meeting up with some of the time an Online buddy but our Dietary Likes are very very different.

She is a Vegan but will eat Egg and Cheese. I myself will eat Meat and Chicken and other foods.

Can anyone recommend any reasonable priced diners or restaurants that would cater to the both of us. (The Amount I would be willing to spend on a Meal Including an Appetiser and Drink/s would be from 60-80

Also Im looking into doing a High Tea Afternoon tea whilst Im there can anyone recommend one that they have enjoyed. (Again Im hoping there are some that are around the 60-70 Dollar Mark)

Thanks

Danielle

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Pricing Question and a Question about High Tea's

For High Tea Look to one of the hotels like the St Regis-- I think they still do it. One Tea place that may do it is Lady Mendel's

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,390 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Pricing Question and a Question about High Tea's

You don't want high tea, you want afternoon tea. Any diner will cater to both of you, unless she's fussy.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Pricing Question and a Question about High Tea's

st regis is my go-to spot for afternoon tea. if you want to try something a little different, cha-an does a japanese-style tea break.

http://www.chaanteahouse.com/

radiance tea house is chinese-style.

http://radiancetea.com/

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,454 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Pricing Question and a Question about High Tea's

The definition of a vegan is someone who eats NO animal products including dairy. So if your friend eats cheese and eggs, she is not a vegan, she's a vegetarian and any Italian restaurant will have plenty for her to eat if she likes pasta. Have you discovered

menupages.com

You can look at restaurants by area, by type of cuisine (including vegetarian). There are also many Indian and Korean restaurants that have lots of vegetarian options as well as meat. Candle 79 is considered one of the nicest veggie/vegan restaurants in the city and while I'm not a veggie, have enjoyed many meals there with friends who are.

For afternoon tea, the Plaza hotel, the Pierre, the St. Regis, the Mandarin Oriental in the Time Warner building and the Jumeriah Essex House are some of the nicer hotels that serve it.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Pricing Question and a Question about High Tea's

I've always associated "Teas, high or low" with the UK - not a New York 'thing'.

Any comments?

Poppa

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Pricing Question and a Question about High Tea's

Afternoon tea: The Mandarin Oriental has the best scones and a lovely view. Bergdorf Goodman is fun for people watching, is a lovely room, and has a good view, although the food is not quite as good as other places. My favorite is the Crosby Hotel.

Beaumont, Texas
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Pricing Question and a Question about High Tea's

I just got back. I'm a vegetarian, my friend is not. We had no problems finding places where we both could eat. A lot of the places had menus posted outside, if not, we just popped in and asked to see a menu before we were seated.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Pricing Question and a Question about High Tea's

As noted, you want afternoon tea, not high tea. Afternoon tea is the upper-class repast served on low tables around 4 in the afternoon, and which consists of little sandwiches and small cakes such as petit fours. High tea, on the other hand, is a distinctly lower class affair which (since working class people eat dinner at midday) serves as the evening meal. It is eaten around 6, at a dining table (which is what makes it "high", as compared to the shorter tea tables), and its most characteristic food traditionally was cold meats left over from the earlier midday dinner (such as cold roast mutton....), bread, and cheese.

I have English friends from Norfolk who habitually call their evening meal "tea", and the last things they are thinking of having when they sit down in the kitchen are watercress sandwiches and confections made of puff paste.

Wilkes-Barre...
Level Contributor
602 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Pricing Question and a Question about High Tea's

Here is my post on the afternoon tea at the Plaza which I really enjoyed and my friend and I left pretty full

nycstylelittlecannoli.com/2011/03/afternoon-…

The St Regis we didn't care for and I have heard great reviews of the Crosby Street Hotel but have not been there yet.

We also enjoyed a cupcake tea at the Ritz Carlon Central Park but you can have afternoon tea there as well...we saw Jennifer Aniston which was quite fun as well.

nycstylelittlecannoli.com/2010/12/holiday-cu…

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,049 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Pricing Question and a Question about High Tea's

FOOD-

You could get a lot more if you try the pre set lunches at nicer places like here-

mandarinoriental.com/newyork/dining/asiate/

or Here-

delposto.com/menu.cfm?restaurantid=1&id=4

TEA-

I agree with Afternoon tea at the Plaza's Palm Court-

http://www.theplaza.com/dining/palmcourt/

or Bergdorf

bergdorfgoodman.com/store/…