We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long do most attractions take to veiw.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
How long do most attractions take to veiw.

Im thinking of going to natural history museum, and the rockafeller, grand central,statue of liberty, ellis island,central park.times square.crysler buliding, grenwich village maybe and the jersey shoppin outlet.Thats just of the top of my head, A broadway show would be good too.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,465 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long do most attractions take to veiw.

I'm looking forward to reading some of the replies you will probably get :)

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long do most attractions take to veiw.

Well its just that I need to know how ,much I can actually do in one day at a time. Some will take more than others I guess lol. But a rough guide will do.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long do most attractions take to veiw.

It all depends on what interests you. For instance, I could be in and out of Ellis Island in 20 minutes while you may have family who came through there and it may be important to you to look at each exhibit...

In general:

NAT: 2 hours

Greenwich Village- To see what? Depends. I'd spend about 4 hours wondering in and out of shops but thats just me.

Outlet shops- Bleck. Wouldn't know. Thank god.

Chrysler Building- what do you intend on doing here? You can only go in the lobby to look at the art work. 10 minutes

TOTR-1 hour

Statue and Ellis-4 hours (maybe 5. the boat line gets long)

Grand Central- 30 minutes

Central Park- 3 hours

Time Square- 3 hours (if you want to check out the more popular stores)

You need to know what interests you. You also should do more research on this forum. You are creating several topics without checking the search bar to see if they have been asked before.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long do most attractions take to veiw.

Lol I know its only the start and I only know the most popular things to visit, some things like certain museums just wouldnt bother with.Its very hard to find out info really as Im easily put off by descristions of places, we want to see the sights of new york for sure and eat and see freinds and also maybe go to boston.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,442 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How long do most attractions take to veiw.

I suggest you get a good guidebook and a map of the city so you can read up on what interests you, read about the hours/days places are open, admission prices, location - etc. The map will then help you figure out where things are located so you can try to group them together. You will need the map when you are here anyway, so getting it in advance with a guidebook will help you better plan and organize your trip.

The subway will get you where you need to go. This is a huge city as I am sure you know and there are countless choices of things/sites to do and see.

How long to spend in a museum is totally personal - some people can spend hours; others may tend to quickly move through a museum.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
836 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long do most attractions take to veiw.

For the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island you'd probably need to allow the best part of a day - book timed tickets in advance to save having to queue for a long period of time for the ferry. As others have already said, it depends how much things interest you and how long you choose to spend at places.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,938 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long do most attractions take to veiw.

Natural History could take a day or 2 hours....If you have made it to this forum, you probably know how to use google so you might want to look at the website for some of the places on your list in addition to getting a good guide book.

I'll give you a couple of sites for starters.

www.amnh.org www.centralparknyc.org http://www.timessquarenyc.org/

You need to figure out how much time you want to spend in these places. There are many more links to nyc information on my blog. Enjoy!

Sue

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How long do most attractions take to veiw.

The Chrysler building - 30 seconds - not open to the public.

Rockefeller

Greenwich Village

B'way shows are at least 2 hours long

Seems you just want to go to as many 'name' attractions as possible and really do not care to enjoy them.

TEHO.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long do most attractions take to veiw.

Poppa no thats not true, You forget I dont know much about them. We ahve just came back from florida and the days seemed like we just didnt have enough time to do what we wanted, meal times took so long .Ive been there 7 times and never has time went so quick as this time, so now I want to try and plan how long I will need to get the best out fo each attraction.Your not undertanding me at all.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,418 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How long do most attractions take to veiw.

As others have said it varies. The day I went to TOTR it was late morning on a weekday and a warm spring day. It wasn't busy at al and we spent a good 20 minutes sitting on EACH side of the building just because we could -- lol!

The day we went to the Empire State Building (different trip) it was a blustery day. We spent a lot of time in line but not all that much time out on the observation deck cuz it was so windy and cold.

You should read other people's trip reports (not itineraries which could change and are sometimes unrealistic). That's the best way to get a realistic idea of how long it takes to do things. People have different travel styles -- some like to go-go-go, me, I'm more of a meanderer ;)

On the right side of the forums, above the name of the destination experts, you'll see something titled "New York City Itinararies" ... what's under those links is a series of trip reports. And of course you'll find others throughout the forum.