We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking across the brooklyn bridge at night, good idea?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
131 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Walking across the brooklyn bridge at night, good idea?

Hi Guys,

This is may be a stupid question but here goes anyway.

After reading forums on bars/food/neighbourhoods etc, I am thinking of having a few drinks and dinner in Brooklyn then walking back across the brooklyn bridge into manhattan in the evening. Skyline, lights etc

Is this a sensible idea? Any issues with this concept?

Australian couple, late 40's, experienced travellers. Not easily fazed but sensible.

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking across the brooklyn bridge at night, good idea?

You will be fine. The area is well lit and I have never heard of any problems that travelers have had on the bridge at night. When I was in NYC, I crossed the bridge at night and found the experience fine and safe but the views are amazing from the bridge of a well lit Manahattan. I loved you!! You should definately do this!!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking across the brooklyn bridge at night, good idea?

newboy.

Its like every place we walk after dark just have your wits about you, i have walked it late evening and found no problem, but others may have had a bad experience, my rule is never give an opportunity to anyone if a taxi or subway ride can reduce the risk take the easy option, hope you have a good time

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking across the brooklyn bridge at night, good idea?

The bridge is much better at night than during the day, imo. And unless the weather is bad, it will be very crowded with other people doing the same thing. We've walked across it at 3 and 4 in the morning and there have still been plenty of other people on it.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking across the brooklyn bridge at night, good idea?

Good idea? No. Great idea? Heck yeah!

Where are you planning for dinner and drinks in BK?

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,096 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking across the brooklyn bridge at night, good idea?

I personally feel that the Brooklyn entrance to the walkway is a little hidden-if you haven't done it before it isn't obvious and the signs are small, so if you are a first timer at night I'd suggest enterining by City Hall walking to the middle of the bridge soak in the view and then return back to City Hall (this way you also see both views).

Have fun!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking across the brooklyn bridge at night, good idea?

In fact, there are two entrances to the pedestrian ramp, and both are quite easy to find.

First, there is the ramp that comes right off Adams Street near the Federal Courthouse in Brooklyn Heights. When I bike to work, this is the route that I take. The other route is from Washington Street in DUMBO. Just head away from the water, and the staircase to the bridge is located on the right side several blocks up. No muss, no fuss. Besides, you can always ask someone in the off chance that you get lost.

I also think that there is something great about walking the bridge in its entirety. Feels like more of an accomplishment than walking halfway and just turning around. But that may just be me.

Boston
Level Contributor
424 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking across the brooklyn bridge at night, good idea?

This sounds like a great idea! Will try to incorporate into our trip. We will be touring the 911 memorial 5:00 pm - could then walk over the bridge to dinner. Where could we eat? There will be 4 in our family - mom dad, 18 and 22 year old. Love italian or steaks. Suggestions?

Glasgow,Scotland
Level Contributor
155 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking across the brooklyn bridge at night, good idea?

Good post...we are doing the River Cafe and were thinking of walking back though wife my moan about the "high heel" situation!lol

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
131 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking across the brooklyn bridge at night, good idea?

Thank you all for the advice and encouragement.

Not sure where to eat in BK.

Any tips/suggestions of places not to far from the bridge (on the BK side of course) would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Glasgow,Scotland
Level Contributor
155 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking across the brooklyn bridge at night, good idea?

River Cafe mate!